• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another ill bun

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
:? Chocolate now - my rex.

Took her to the vets this morning, but there's nothing obvious:? She's eating - not with her usual enthusiasm, but she's tucking in with a bit of encouragement. Pooing ok, but hunched up & quiet. Just "off".

She's an ex rescue, formerly a stray, about 5ish now, in the bonded 13. There's no one in the group she dosn't get on with - although she's not close to the giants, they just don't interact a lot. Smirnoff didn't leave her side this morning, which was really sweet, cos he avoids me & I was stroking her.

Vet gave metacam & baytril.

Sounds a bit like what happened with me & Munch except that he was also cold. Vet gave him a pain killer on 1st visit & then an anti inflammatory injection plus protexin on his 2nd visit. Munch is back to his usual self but neither me nor the vet knows what was wrong with him I hope its the same for Chocolate & shes up & running about soon. Good luck to you both

Yeah, I had this twice before with Cracker - he was just not himself. It's hard to tell how many poos she's doing in such a large group - hers are usually one of the bigger ones:oops: , but i hate separating unless absolutely necessary.:?

, but i hate separating unless absolutely necessary.:?

When Mary was poorly with his suspected kidney failure, I had to keep him seperate to monitor his toilet habits. However, rather than totally seperate him (bonded trio of males, so didn't want to upset the balance too much!) I added a puppy pen outside the crate. This meant I could shut the door of the crate to keep him seperate for a few hours a day to monitor his pooing/consistancy of his wee but could leave it open the rest of the day to keep the buns together. Maybe you could pen off a corner of their enclosure for Chocolate and Smirnoff for an hour or two a day?

When Mary was poorly with his suspected kidney failure, I had to keep him seperate to monitor his toilet habits. However, rather than totally seperate him (bonded trio of males, so didn't want to upset the balance too much!) I added a puppy pen outside the crate. This meant I could shut the door of the crate to keep him seperate for a few hours a day to monitor his pooing/consistancy of his wee but could leave it open the rest of the day to keep the buns together. Maybe you could pen off a corner of their enclosure for Chocolate and Smirnoff for an hour or two a day?

That's actually a good idea. I have dog crate I could use. Mick's at home today (with instructions to hand feed Chocolate every couple of hours), so I'll get him on it. Thanks:D

Np :) I think the fact that the other buns could come in the pen and make it smell like them helped, and they always laid next to each other along the bars on the front of the crate so the bond was definately still there. Mind you, none of them had incisors so I'd just be a bit wary if you have buns that may nip noses through the bars

Chocolate seems a lot brighter this morning. She came running over when I walked in (although changed her mind when she saw the syringe:oops: ). She's still not herself, but definitely perkier.

Back