• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hmmm teeth not growing...

ok two of charms front teeth STILL haven't grown back...in over a month! It's a top and bottom one on one side. So now I'm wondering how long teeth take to grow back and why they haven't...

Not a clue I bought him with teeth problems and these ones just haven't changed, they're still the same as in this piccy (taken when we got him)

DSC02230.jpg

I'd opt to have all his front teeth removed if they're in that state to be honest. Mallocluded incisors are of little use to rabbits and he'll probably be much more comfortable without them (rabbits have prehensile lips so he'll be able to pick up his food with them, though veg etc will need to be cut into squares/strips or grated :))

I'd opt to have all his front teeth removed if they're in that state to be honest. Mallocluded incisors are of little use to rabbits and he'll probably be much more comfortable without them (rabbits have prehensile lips so he'll be able to pick up his food with them, though veg etc will need to be cut into squares/strips or grated :))

Well the long ones are just right now, it's just those two barely visable ones that are causing me concern at the moment. I mean he's eating fine and doesn't seem to mind them, but still they should be there right?

His teeth definately aren't right and you've said he's struggled with his eating in the past. It's unlikely with teeth that badly aligned that they'll ever grow back 'normal' and I personally think one op to remove them is fairer than repeat trips to the vet to have them burred down (they shouldn't be clipped)

I'm afraid his teeth are awfully wonky, and you'd probably find that if they grew back they'd cause him trouble... i.e. they'd probably twist in the wrong directions and make eating difficult.

Amy

I would be surprised if they did grow back to be honest.

I have a special needs bun here who has had all his incisors and peg teeth removed because he had severe maloclussion and he is totally happy.

I have to cut his veg small for him but he has no problems with eating and I have even had to pull him out of the dog bowl before....he can eat a whole dog biscuit if he puts his mind to it.

The other benefit is that he dosnt need constant GAs which put immense pressure on the body and can eventually shorten the life span.

His teeth definately aren't right and you've said he's struggled with his eating in the past. It's unlikely with teeth that badly aligned that they'll ever grow back 'normal' and I personally think one op to remove them is fairer than repeat trips to the vet to have them burred down (they shouldn't be clipped)

I've had a problem with his teeth being overgrown but they're fixed and it was never these two. There's no point in removing them as they don't actually exist more than a little bit of white by the gum.

I would be surprised if they did grow back to be honest.

Why? What do you reckon is stopping them from growing back? All the others have straigtened out and are normal I'm just at a loss as to why these two still haven't grown?

We think the problem with the others is that he refuses to eat P@H pellets and of course what do P@H feed them? And so he didn't eat and so his teeth just grew far too long.

I tyink the nerve may have died and the root rotted.....they cant grow from scratch, their needs to be something remaining for them to grow from.

Its just that his other teeth look in such a bad state I would be surprised if the root/nerve were healthy enough to sprout a new tooth.

Yeah they were pretty poor, they're looking a lot better now, but he won't stay calm long enough to photograph them. Go near his mouth and he'll have a fit so I can't show you.

Ok thanks, I'll take him to the vet. If the nerve has rotted we want to get the remnants out before he has another mouth infection right?

It would certainly be worth having them checked out.....one in case he developes a jaw abcess and two so that if there is a chance of them regrowing you can establish whether they will grow in alignment or cause more problems.

Alright, it won't be until after the 24th though (New job and I get paid on the 24th but was on the dole till the 1st so a long stretch on only what I'd saved from my dole money and no spare cash).

Thanks for the explaination.

We think the problem with the others is that he refuses to eat P@H pellets and of course what do P@H feed them? And so he didn't eat and so his teeth just grew far too long.

This is unlikely to be the cause - rabbits only really use their incisors to chomp into large bits of food, like a carrot, and get little wear themselves. It's far more likely that bad breeding, an injury to the face/teeth or an infection in the gums caused the teeth to misalign. Once they're out of line they don't wear against each other properly (a rabbit with healthy incisors will grind them together to wear them down) and overgrow

Back