• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

not taking no for an answer

bunnyrun

Mama Doe
Had a lady come and look at our bunnies on sunday, she resevered a little girl bunny called pepsi, pepsi is extremely nervous and has had a terrible start to life :cry: while she,s bn in our care she has definetly improved, i explained that pepsi was very very nervous and needed alot of tlc, which she seemed to understand, i booked pepsi into be speyed nxt week and a friend offered to foster her untill her operation which would free up a hutch here for an urgent bunny that needed to come in, unfortunately pepsi has had to come bk to me because she,s stopped eating :roll: since coming home she,s now eating again :) i feel that pepsi feels safe here which is why when moved she stopped eating so i feel reluctant to rehome her now as i dont want to stress her because she was so badly neglected so in order to keep her happy she,ll stay with me.
The lady has called tonight and when i explained all this to her her reaction was, "whats the problem if she stops eating ill bring her back" i then said "that i didnt feel that would do pepsi any good" if she was local & there was a problem i could get to her but this lady is half an hour away so i really feel pepsi should stay with me, she is still adament she,s going to have her even tho ive said no, how blunt do i have to be :?
I now feel im being silly but it worries me that pepsi stops eating when she leaves am i being to over protective :oops: unbeknown to me untill tonight this woman has a buck who was castrated today when i tried to bond pepsi before she was very very aggressive to the male so i also feel she wouldnt be any better off with another bunny
i feel really worked up about the whole thing ive told her no but she still persists ive even suggested someone else but no she only wants pepsi :roll:

If i was in your postion i would keep her to, stressing her out will do her more than good, Just put your foot down:D

I would keep her too. If she doesn't see the major problem of the bun stopping eating and is so adamant on this particular bun I would question her bunny owner knowledge and how much she really cares. If I was her I would definately rather the bun stayed with you and would look at other buns :?

Just say that it is not in Pepsi's best interests due =to her eating and whether she can bring her back is irrelevant. Surely if she wants a rabbit and knows anything, she will be happy to go for a different one x

when i tried to bond pepsi before she was very very aggressive to the male so i also feel she wouldnt be any better off with another bunny :

Like humans some rabbits prefer not to pair with some particular others, that doesnt mean that they wont pair with others. From experience I have found that rabbits whom are quite stressed frequently do better when paired with another calm partner. They quickly learn to take on positive characteristics of other rabbits.

maybe with a calm partner pepsi would bond but in my heart i still feel to stress her by moviong her into a new home with a new bunny would again stop her eating she obviously feels safe and secure here and by not eating surely she,s trying to tell me she wants to stay :oops: unless im completely barmey:shock:

she,s still going to be speyed as planned next week :) bonding her may take time, her history was pepsi and alot of bunnies in 1 hutch 16 in total pepsi and her sister both gave birth in the same hutch :shock: had 7 babies each and the hutch was only 5 ft :shock: none of the bunnies were handled the people got rid of the babies :evil: which left pepsi and her sister tango i got a call when i got there the cage was crawling with maggots luckily we got them in time and neither got flystrike i did however lose my temper and told the bloke a few home truths.:oops: This is most probably why she doesnt like being with other bunnies

:oops: i meant i think she doesnt like being with other bunnies cos there were so many in 1 hutch not because i lost my temper with the owner :oops:

if that was me in the womans situation i think id understand it was in the buns best interested although i would be a little down hearted at first. have you offered to pair up her existing bun with another of your rabbits

As jrn said, what about getting her neutered as planned, but offer to try bonding her with the ladies male (post neuters of course!), but make it clear that if it doesn't work out you won't let Pepsi go?
If she says she didn't want to bond Pepsi with her male then say you feel Pepsi might be best bonded with a suitable partner (by you) before you rehome her again?

i think this woman has something to hide if she's so attached. just keep saying no. it's your choice whether you rehome her or not, not the woman's. i think you should keep her because of her not eating.

The lady's probably disappointed, but maybe now she's had time to think on it she'll realise that Pepsi's health is more important than what she wants? Bit selfish if not :?

Having said that when I got Tia she barely ate a thing for the first few days, and Angie at the rescue said she didn't eat much there - she was terribly nervous of everything - but I didn't maul her around and she settled down after a week and loved her grub after that. She died after a year though :(

It may sound odd but I think some people get fixated on getting their own way. I have seen this a few times where it's obvious the animal is suffering because of it but as long as they got their way it didn't matter. One example is my next door neighbours keeping their rabbit to spite me. Since the Inspector came round about 6 weeks ago they've been cleaned out twice and let out twice. I also remember a case where a woman refused to give up her gsd after the owners reported her to the rspca. She had no garden fencing so kept it locked in a shed, where it starved to death right next to the kitchen window. Some people will do anything to get their own way, regardless of whether it's right for the animal or not.

If this woman said it didn't matter if Pepsi didn't eat, she'd just bring her back i doubt there is any sentimental attachment, seems to me she justs wants her to get her own way over you. She certainly doesn't sound like a genuine rabbit lover to me. I'd tell her no on the principal that i had seen her true colours and would no way be happy to rehome to someone who could care less if the rabbit was distressed.

Pepsi comes first! her heealth and her sanity....
although I do agree if she doesnt like this buck, there could be others - but I think if you feel she shouldnt be rehomed, then dont! - always go with your instinct as you know her best!... and this lady puzzles me a bit, sure pesi is very sweet, but anyone who really did want a rescue bunny, would surely understand they dont always have the best start in life and sometimes, they wont always get them.

It sounds like she wants her because she just looks a certain way, is she a particularly pretty bunny by any chance? Obviously all bunnies are pretty/cute but you know what I mean.

As jrn said, what about getting her neutered as planned, but offer to try bonding her with the ladies male (post neuters of course!), but make it clear that if it doesn't work out you won't let Pepsi go?
If she says she didn't want to bond Pepsi with her male then say you feel Pepsi might be best bonded with a suitable partner (by you) before you rehome her again?

I think this is a great idea. ;)

I think this is a great idea. ;)

I think thats a good idea too, tell her thats the only option and if she refuses then tough. She may be genuine and think she can cope with winning Pepsi round or she may just be adament thats the one she wants for whatever reason, either way if you aren't comfortable with the potential new owner its your perogative to say no.

Good luck!

I think thats a good idea too, tell her thats the only option and if she refuses then tough. She may be genuine and think she can cope with winning Pepsi round or she may just be adament thats the one she wants for whatever reason, either way if you aren't comfortable with the potential new owner its your perogative to say no.

Good luck!

Me too!

She's probably just dissapointed is Pepsi is the one she chose.

Back