• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Re-bonding

Munch

New Kit
Hi, my 2 rabbits (neutered male and female, both just over a year old) had been living together happily for a month or 2, until she attacked him one day. We immediately separated them (on advice from people in this forum - thanks!) and had her spayed. It's now coming up to the vets recomendation of 4 weeks before they can live together again - so hoping you all can give me some tips on re-bonding them? They have actually had the ends of their runs up-together in the meantime so they hopefully wouldn't have forgot about each other!

I don't want to do it wrong and have them living separately - as we adopted her so he would have a friend and would be a shame to see them apart, and it's also costing almost twice as much in food and hay!

Thanks!

Hello, I know how it feels in this situation! I would allow at least 3 days that you can give complete supervision as there will probably be some humping, fur pulling, even proper fighting. It MUST be on neutral territory, where neither bun has been before. Mine are indoor buns but I would recommend bonding indoors if you can so u can supervise plus the early morning was when mine had a fight (unless u want to pitch a tent!). Have a long handled broom ready to separate any proper fighting- when they are latched on, you need to kind of prise them apart. A water squirter is good to have as another distraction when fighting etc. It needs to be in a smallish area so they need to get used to each other but can run away if necessary. Provide somewhere for one to hide if it is being chased, and lots of toys, preferably new but definately neutalised with vinegar. Anything you are using, eg litter tray, bowls etc should be neutralised, or new to prevent fighting.

If you do a search of the forum I'm sure you will find loads of info. Steady nerves are also essential, good luck xxx:D

Last edited:
Neutral territory is the way to go, with maybe a short car journey to start with.

I usually put grooming lotion on both animals when I bond, it makes them smell more similar to each other.

Back