• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

been the vets

kimd6200

Banned
hi all took thumper the vets today with his mouth and they dont know whats wrong with him!:shock: she looked in her book n saw something similar but it was very rare so didnt want to say it was that.heard her say pox to another nurse?anyway,hes on 0.4ml batryl with 1.6ml of water every day for the next few days.if it doesnt clear hes got to be sedated so they can find out whats wrong.what are buns like coming round from sedation?im so worried something might go wrong.:cry: hes no happy with me at the minute.keeps stamping his feet n running off.not a hapy bunny.xxx

I knew I'd heard the word pox recently - see this extract from
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/articles/skin.htm

........Vent Disease - rabbit syphilis

"Vent" is rare in housebunnies - it's a sexually transmitted bacterial infection usually seen in breeding animals. Rabbit syphilis is not zoonotic!

Sores develop around the vent (genital) area and sometimes on the face. Treatment is with antibiotics: there's some debate whether topically applied cream is adequate or whether injectable antibiotics are required, but most authorities recommend injectable penicillin as treatment, which is remarkably well tolerated and does not seem to cause any gut problems.

Rabbit pox

Rabbit pox is a viral disease that closely mimics rabbit syphilis. It causes crusty, scabby lesions around the genital region, lips, and eyelids that eventually clear up by themselves after a few weeks or months.

Pox tends to be diagnosed when "vent disease" fails to respond to antibiotics, but it can be confirmed using skin biopsies and blood tests. This is recent and unpublished information, which has not yet reached textbooks of rabbit medicine..........'

Sounds like he'll need antibiotics - hope he's OK soon :(

hes on antibiotics.hes only got scabs on his bottom lip and chin.god i hope it aint pox.his bits down the are clean.:lol: she dont know whats up.what type of antibiotic is batryl?x

Baytril's the one vets always try first as it's easy on their stomach - penicillin by mouth kills rabbits, and it's not great even injected, so they try the safe ones first. Unfortunately baytril's never worked on my rabbits problems :roll:

Nodular myxi? How are his eyes? Any little lumps or sores developing there, or anywhere else on his body?

eyes are clear.got afew scabs on his ears but thats it.think thats why vet was confused.im worried now on whats up with him.his appetite is fine tooo.still greedy as ever!x

Is you vet a rabbit-savvy one? Is he(bun, not vet!!:lol: ) up to date with his vaccinations? If anymore lumps appear it might be worth taking him back and mentioning the possibility, although I think that with nodular myxi the eyes are usually affected . Floss had no changes in her eating habits when she had it.

im not sure.went to the pdsa?:? i wanted to get to the vets soon so didnt think of checking.he hasnt had his vacs no,but i am getting them done.dont shout at me.:( how long will it take for anti biotics work?x

I can't imagine a vet not recognising myxi even if they're not rabbit savvy though :shock: And vaccinations should never be given to poorly animals as their immune system's already working overtime.

My very experienced rabbity vet wasn't 100% sure at first as Floss presented with a runny eye, but when she developed a lump just below the base of her ear the alarm bells started to sound for him. He said then that it could be a mutation of some pox virus..by then I began to glaze over with panic!! Thankfully she was given the appropriate treatment and was up to date with vaccinations so she made a full recovery, apart from impaired vision in her right eye as a result of scarring because of the lesions .

:) No problem Elve. :) I'm very fortunate that so far my lovely vet has given me no cause to worry, though there have been some real horror stories here about other folks' bad vet experiences...so often the cynicism is justified and understandable:)

Back