• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

agression in rabbits?

cavysrock

Wise Old Thumper
Hi,
I was wondering if agression in rabbits could be caused by lack of rabbit compnay even though the bunny get lots of human company?
thanks for your time,
Beth.

Would need to know a bit more about when they are aggressive; is it any particular time of the day? at any particular point in their routine? where are they when they show aggression? neuteured or unneutuered? x

Is this rabbit neutered? Are they male or female? What type of agression are we talking about? What instances bring on any agressive behaviour?

he is neautered and it seems to be all the time, he was put with another bunny and he just happy flopped and binkyed but the otehr bunny didn't like him. He attacked his hutch and lunges and growls at youa nd when you walk past his cage he kind of barks and starts chewing the wire madly. But every now and then if your cautious, he will let you scratch his head if you talk to him and place your hand inbetween his ears, maikng sure he can't reach you or he would attack.

Was the other rabbit who was paired up with him male or female. How long were they paired up together. What size hutch and run does he have free access to both of these all the time?

Sorry for the questions but it will help us understand what is going on.

Well, he was rehomed as he fought with his brother, so then he was tried with a female who he liekd but the female didn't like him.
He is in a 4 ft hutch and run atm but he gets four hours enclosure time at night, and this setup is only temporary. When he was put with the female he was in a small shed.

If they were only together for an hour, I personally think that there has not been an inadequate time given to pairing up. If you can find someone in your area who is experienced with bonding I am sure that these can be paired up together effectively without any further problems.

Many rabbits we have had which are territorial are better when paired up, I would suggest that you pursue this as you have a female rabbit available to pair with him, this would also hopefully free up a larger accomodation space for them which would help them both.

When you say that he is in a 4 foot hutch and run. How big is the run? He may be frustrated at being kept in close confinement here as he is lacking adequate space to live normally. You mention he is in temporary accomodation, have you plans to provide him with bigger accomodation?

Does this rabbit scan? If he does he may not have clear vision and may be startled, and may lunge defensively at the perceived threat. Talk to him when approaching him.

Wear extra layers so if he bites or lunges you wont get hurt, give the impression you are not frightened of him as this can cause them to be on the defensive.

These articles may have suggestions that can help sometime you have to look and analyse the behaviour and what brings on each incident and work out what to do to change the situation. http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/aggression.html

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/BitingHandlft_05_05.pdf
http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/agressive.shtml

Thanks for all your help,
I was going to try and bond him with Magic and Blue when Blue was ready, But I doubt that would actually work. If I managed to bond him with my girly bun then they would be living ina 4ftx4ft play house witha run attached to the side so hopefully he would feel better. It's just that Blue was meant to be with Magic and it'a ll very confusing :lol:
I was hoping to get him this hutch from happy hutch in the 6ft size: http://www.happyhutch.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=44&categoryID=6

no he doesn't scan, and will try extra layers, although Holly bit me through my coat once, I dunno what he copuld do. :shock:

Back