• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A few questions about RSPCA home visit

elisaway

New Kit
Hi all,
I have an RSPCA home visit today in the hope that all will be ok to adopt a 3 yr old dwarf lop neutered male to bond with my female bun.
I think i have everything sorted but just wanted some advice to make sure everythings ok
So here is what i have:

1 4' x 2' double layer hutch - which splodge is currently living in.
1 5' x 2' single storey hutch - which is intended for Galahad if we get him
1 5' x 3' run
1 consevatory/utility room, rabbit proofed and secure for free range time inside when unable to get outside or when we feel like cuddles!!

We intend to keep them seperatley to start with and then join the two hutches together when they are bonded so they have quite a large area.

I also intend to get another/bigger run for the garden.

I also have provision for the hutches to go inside to a shed for the winter.

Does everyone think that i should be ok for the home check - any advice or pointing out anything i've missed would be appreicated.

I want to be prepared.

Regards
Elisa & Slodge

according to an RSPCA field inspector I was talking to last week they say
18sq ft for a bun to exercise but I couldn't see why you should have a problem with what you are offering the bun.
Good Luck:D

Good luck - sounds great. If you're joining together - the inspector should be fine with that. Mine just chatted about bunny care, holiday provision, run space, a few things about rabbit health - what to be aware of of major diseases and about a healthy diet. I chatted away about all the things I had learnt on here and they were fine :D

Thanks!
I think i know a fair bit about buns - i studied animal care at college for 2 years and i have been reading through things on here so i hope that will be enough.
I hope it all goes ok cos splodge really deserves a boyfriend!!
Thanks again
Elisa

We passed!!

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice.
It all went well, she was really lovely.
Had a phone call yesterday to say that everything was fine & we are going to pick up Galahad on Saturday - can't wait.
Thanks again
Elisa, splodge & Galahad

I adopted Pebbles from the RSPCA, and they didnt do a homecheck or anything. I turned up, we put them together, and they got on, and that was it, signed the form, £20 donation and we were off. Althought i was glad id idnt have to wait til after a homecheck to bring her home...i was a bit concerned about other people who go ther and dont know whats acceptable. I would have thought the RSPCA would have the same procedure for all their centres?

Not the same where small animals are concerned sadly. It should be compulsary in my opinion for all animals but not all branches seem to agree.

i hve a small problem myself. midnight is a medium sized mixed breed rabbit and i think has out grown her hutch (it was the hutch we got with her when we rescued her from an awful home) what sort of size hutch do you think i should get her? it has to be cheap as i dnt get much money from my saturday job. she has a big run (with a seccond floor with a pent house i built for if it rains) but she doesnt spend much time i there as i let her out each morning to have free rage of our huge bunny proof garden.

Here are pics of galahad as promised:

18-08-07_1441.jpg

18-08-07_1444.jpg

Checking out the new girlfriend (Yes he is neutered!!!)
18-08-07_1504.jpg

i hve a small problem myself. midnight is a medium sized mixed breed rabbit and i think has out grown her hutch (it was the hutch we got with her when we rescued her from an awful home) what sort of size hutch do you think i should get her? it has to be cheap as i dnt get much money from my saturday job. she has a big run (with a seccond floor with a pent house i built for if it rains) but she doesnt spend much time i there as i let her out each morning to have free rage of our huge bunny proof garden.

Are you a member of your local freecycle - someone may have a good quality hutch with no occupant they don't need - it may be worth a try? Or freeads sometimes there are good value hutches on there (do ask for photos before travelling miles as some will be in a poor state as seen in some adverts posted up on here over the years).

Caz

i got a two storey hutch of freecycle, no mesh on it, wood pain was chipped and covered in cobwebs,....£15 later and i have a lovely dark green double hutch, with brand new mesh and a run to match! I'll go take a piccie in a min!

i was told they had a 'nice hutcht hat needed a bit of a clean' i wasnt expecting alot but this is what i got

urrrrgh.jpg

my dad was like 'oh il do it up for you' so i left him to it

a week later ---ta da!

new.jpg

ooo.jpg

They still get to run around the bunny garden when im in there but they seem to like it!

omg i just had to add a close up of this

sign.jpg

i got them that little sign and added two little carrots on the twisty handle!

Back