• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezing Bunny

rabbits-are-cuties

Warren Scout
My bunny, Teddy, has been sneezing a lot lately:cry: . Sometimes white goo comes shooting out (snot?). Me and my mum are really worried about him. He had it last year, too.

Loppy, my other bunny, isn't sneezing, though. We think she's got a stronger immune system because she was adopted (has an unknown background) and is two years older.

What do you think's wrong?:(

Hopefully someone a bit more knowledgable than me will be along to help soon, but in the meantime, I would definitely say you need to take Teddy to see your vet as soon as possible.

I don't think they can get hayfever. It's more likely to be a respiratory infection, especially if he has thick white snot coming out of his nose. Poor little mite. Glad to hear he is going to the vet tomorrow, I would even suggest that you try to get him there today if possible? It sounds like he has some sort of infection. What do others think?

Just to jump on the band wagon here - My bunny (dwarf lop) Charlie has sneezed ever since we got him. White discharge has come out of his nose. He's had a course of Baytrill a couple of weeks ago which another vet gave him (we were on holiday and the carer took him to her vet) He is still sneezing so I took him to my vet who gave him another dose of an antibiotic. Unfortunately, I never asked him what it was but on reading my receipt it says it was Duphamox LA. Now I'm no expert but I put a search out and it said 'not to be used on rabbits'!!! What do you think I should do? Do you think there will be any serious side effects?

Am due to go back to vets on Friday, however, I'm beginning to think that perhaps my vet isn't that good!

It sounds as though Charlie and Teddy may have snuffles which is a respiratory tract infection usually from the bacteria pasturella (sp.). I would really recommend getting them both to the vets for treatment as soon as possible as they will probably need a course of antibiotics to clear up the discharge and kill the bacteria. Loki had snuffles for a while and we were prescribed Baytril at first then Septrin and then went back to Baytril twice a day for a month before the symptoms disappeared. Loki's snuffles come back when he is stressed, but he's a happy other-wise healthy bunny! Let us know how you both get on at the vets.

ps Jupiter I really don't know anything about Duphamox LA but I would really recommend giving your vets a call first thing in the morning (or sooner if you can) if you are not happy with what they have prescribed.

Personally I would not worry too much, I have 2 buns one has had snuffles since we got her 18 months ago now. She has had antibiotics coming out of her ears including Baytril and nothing cleared it up.

She is not off her food and is happy, sometimes it is worse than others we just keep an eye on her.

The only problem was when we took her to the vets it really stressed her our so she is better off not recieving treatment, but each to their own.

I agree, Charlie does get stressed out now when we take him in his travel box! I'm sure it makes him worse and if this course of anti b's don't work I think I'm going to just leave him - he is otherwise very healthy, it's not on his chest, he doesn't have runny eyes, he eats like a horse!! and he's very hoppy and skippy! I guess the holiday carer meant well but he's no better, I've had more stress and my bank account is a lot lighter! :roll:

Hi there, just wondered how Teddy is now and whether he has been to the vets yet? Poor little man, it sounds like he has an infection so he really should see your vet....

Back