• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Okay so whats a holland lop?

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
Right im VERY confused... i always thought Peanut was a Holland Lop, but when i registered him @ his new vet there was only French Lop, and Netherland Dwarf lop, and i know netherlands=holland etc etc but he isnt a dwarf? But i heard french lops were very big? So what do you think he is?

p.s he is a year old so im assuming his full grown

Picture067.jpg

DSCF0038.jpg

Picture002.jpg

looking a bit windswept lol

Picture021.jpg

deciding to scent mark my poundland little fence lol!!

this is the day i got him:
peanutbuttercute.jpg

It doesnt really matter whether hes a french or a holland lop lol im just getting frustrated cus i keep hearing different things

It is my understanding that a Holland Lop is the American term for a Mini Lop. And in America a Mini Lop is what we call a Dwarf Lop :? But I'd wait for some more input before you go with that theory!! :D

Having said that I still couldn't tell you what he is! :lol: But he's an absolute stunner! :love:

My book says a holland lop IS a netherland dwarf lop. They're not dwarf size buns (I have 2!) but I think compared to french lops they may look like dwarfs :? :D

I've got a dwarf lop (she's not small), i got told that they are called dwarf because they are a dwarf of the french lop.
Don't know if this helps!

I would discount French Lop as mine weigh about a stone!

He looks the same sort of size/build/head shape as my Dwarf Lop, Squishy!:D

he does look like squishy (i love that name!!) just without the black. i had a netherland dwarf when i was a child n she was TINY so i thought a dwarf lop would be like that just with flop ears!

He looks like a dwarf lop (which is similar to the American Mini Lop), also the American holland lop is similar to our mini lop.;) It gets very confusing!:lol:

The problem comes in when people look at American Sites - similar breeds different names just to confuse everyone. And as for vets knowing what breed rabbits are? HA thats likely! Most vets can't tell which end of a rabbit is which :roll:

Your rabbit is a Dwarf Lop - NOTHING in common with a Netherland Dwarf, Dwarf Lops weigh a max of 5lb 4oz.

Holland Lop is the American term for our Mini Lop.

What americans call a Mini Lop is infact our German Lop :roll:

If you want to look up rabbit breeds PLEASE only use UK sites - the American ones are completely different and will confuse you no end!

This is the official site for the British Rabbit Council breed standards - these are the ONLY standarised breeds in the UK so this site is your best port of call.

http://www.thebrc.org/breeds.htm

I have a Mini Lop, Raffles, he is my siggie at bottom and he weighs 2.6kg he has such a lovely fat bum!!:lol: so nothing mini about him really!! I also have a baby Dwarf lop and had a Cashmere Dwarf lop who was big also... I think the Dwarf bit means they just smaller than French and English lops...

The problem comes in when people look at American Sites - similar breeds different names just to confuse everyone. And as for vets knowing what breed rabbits are? HA thats likely! Most vets can't tell which end of a rabbit is which :roll:

Your rabbit is a Dwarf Lop - NOTHING in common with a Netherland Dwarf, Dwarf Lops weigh a max of 5lb 4oz.

Holland Lop is the American term for our Mini Lop.

What americans call a Mini Lop is infact our German Lop :roll:

If you want to look up rabbit breeds PLEASE only use UK sites - the American ones are completely different and will confuse you no end!

This is the official site for the British Rabbit Council breed standards - these are the ONLY standarised breeds in the UK so this site is your best port of call.

http://www.thebrc.org/breeds.htm

Oh good, glad someone else is along the same track as my original theory! :D I'm sticking by my original post then :p

:lol: :lol:

I would if there were any nearby!!! I dearly want a Lionhead too.....so my ideal would be to find a Mini Lop and Lionhead bonded together as a pair!!!!!:lol:

I took my supposedly Mini Lop to the vets today (ear mites) and she said oh he so lovely, you dont get many of those!!:shock: :shock: News to me... thought there were plenty of Dwarf lops about?:roll: :?

rabbit breeds do get very confusing i remember taking in Crystals babies into my college to be sexed by the animal care teacher (as i thought she knew her stuff) i told herthe babies were dwarf lops and she said their abit big for dwarf lops if they were dwarf lops they would be the same size as a Netherland dwarf which confused me until i started researching rabbits and actually found oput that Dwarf lops are actually medium sized rabbits so i was right about Crystals breed all along lol my vet put Crystals breed down as a Dutch lop :shock: lol i think that showed how intelligent my vet was :p :roll:

i thought Dwarf lops and mini lops were 2 separate breeds in teh uk the Dwarf being a medium sized rabbits and the mini lop being a small sized rabbit :?

My Raffles is meant to be a Mini Lop.. and he was certainly smaller than his late Cashmere Lop girlfriend.. but he was weighed today and he is 2.6kg... so now I'm confused!!!:? :lol: :lol:

Back