• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent advice needed

Nik-Nak

Warren Scout
I just went to check on my bunnies and to lock them in the huth for the night normal routine for us, when I noticed Frizby was not moving.

My husband picked him up and said he is breathing and moving his head but his muscles in his body are all relaxed and he can't hold himself up :shock: :cry:

Frizby is a very special bun to us we lost his soul partner through a tragic accident in June, and have recently bonded him to a female bun called Rockie.

We have spoken to the vet and he said he doesn't want to put him through a car journey as that could shock him. He has advised us to take him out of the hutch into a box or indoor cage and keep him warm with some food and water. I described how he is to the vet who said it either a stomach bug but Frizby has very little bloating, or he has had a major shock of some sort. I'm a bit worried cos I put one of those ice packs in their run for the first time today andf just worried if I have made him sick.

Does anyone know what else I can do for him? Frizby has just turned 3.

Oh dear, this doesn't sound good :( How is he now? Have you brought him inside? Does he seem different now that you have brought him in?
He could have floppy rabbit syndrome - he would need either banana or tomato puree or some mushed tomato - can you try that?
Do you know if he has eaten today? Could he have eaten something that is bad for him?
Sorry about all the questions - trying to get a bigger picture here. He could be in shock or he could have had a stroke :(
If there is no change in him since you have brought him in would the vet do an emergency home visit? He may need urgent drugs and some fluids run through him.
I truly hope he gets better - sending lots of healing and calming vibes to Frizby - xxxxx

I'm no expert, I was going to say get him to vet asap, is your vet seeing him first thing in the morning? Has he been eating/drinking/going to toilet? if he can't move you may need to hand feed him/hold water in a bowl to him. I don't know about the ice pack, is there anything he shouldn't have eaten in it? Do his ears feel cold? Have you brought him indoors if it was me I would keep a very close eye on him, have you brought his partner in too? this may help comfort him, personally I would get an emergency vet. Hope he's ok :(

Thank you Jay pot. Whats Floppy rabbit syndrome?

As far as I'm aware when I got him out and checked over him this afternoon he seemed fine, perhaps a little quiet but fine and I can only assume hes eaton something ( I cannot be sure to be honest)

He is still the same since being in the house he has the back bedroom and is in the indoor cage.

I think I have some tomatoe puree do I need to syringe it in?

I'm no expert, I was going to say get him to vet asap, is your vet seeing him first thing in the morning? Has he been eating/drinking/going to toilet? if he can't move you may need to hand feed him/hold water in a bowl to him. I don't know about the ice pack, is there anything he shouldn't have eaten in it? Do his ears feel cold? Have you brought him indoors if it was me I would keep a very close eye on him, have you brought his partner in too? this may help comfort him, personally I would get an emergency vet. Hope he's ok :(

My vet said to take him in the morning if theres no change, but I'm worried about the car journey. We've left Rockie outside as she was getting in a tizz and trying to groom him so we didn't want to upset her any further.

If you have the tomato puree can you syringe some into him - water it down a bit. Floppy Rabbit Syndrome comes on very quickly and is due to a lack of pottasium - you can get this in tomatoes and banana - so if you see a bun look like this it can be that - not all the time but it can be so it's best to try and get some into him.
I truly think he needs a vet though - he could give a potassium injection if it is FRS - but he may need fluids running through him which is vital if he has eaten something that is bad for him :(
Try to syringe water into him as well - and if you have any science recovery or critical care then feed syringe that into him as well.
Keep him warm and if you can tell if he's cold then put him against your chest with a towel or fleece over you and him so that he can hear you hearbeat, feel your heartbeat and get warm.
Please get better little Frizby - xxxx

omg poor thing..im sending vibes and nose rubs....thats awful.

I would bring his mate back in.if not actually in with him,...in a cage alongside..so he can have her close for comfort.

my oscar went like that when he had gi stasis and wasnt coming back..

buns get heatstroke..if it was very hot it could have happened..and fluids are essential now. esp iv drip.

i hope he makes it til the vets..its not easy when you take the vets advice but i was told htat yesterday too unless bif got worse ..but to leave her til mon morn and i did..she was so stressed the vet wasnt sure shed make it home she was panting so fast.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and support.

Unfortunately Frizby has just passed away in my arms, I just wish I could of done more for him.

The vet was called again and was on his way but Frizby had already passed on.

Anyway I'm off to bed so I can ball my eyes out.....

so sorry to hear that... i hope frizbys partner is ok i know it is a sad time for you but please keep and eye on your other bun as they can get depressed and start eating less if they miss there freinds dont panic just keep an eye and give lots of tlc. so sorry once again

Last edited:
I am so sorry it is horrible when a bun is sick and you try everything but there is nothing you can do. Atleast you where there to comfort him, i am sure he is with all the other rabbits hoping around in rabbit heaven.

Binky free little one
*HUGZ*

Tracey
X

Back