• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bringing home a new bun...

Teal'c

Alpha Buck
Since I will be getting a bun sometime in the near future I figured I better ask this now...How long should I keep the new bun separate from Teal'c to make sure (s)he doesn't get Teal'c sick? I only plan on bringing home a healthy bun but you can never be 100% sure...

After that I thought I'd just put the two cages next to each other for a while, so Teal'c and the new bun can get to know each other without eating each other....

What if Teal'c doesn't like his new friend? Do you think he will? What are the chances that they won't get along? Teal'c is already pretty much fully grown I think...does this make a difference?

I plan to get Teal'c neutered soon, as soon as I find a good place...Is it super important for Teal'c to have the ol' sniparoonie before I bring home another bun? I was going to do it next month...

I just want to do this right! ARG!!!!

Last edited:
Regards the neutering - you only need keep them apart for 8 weeks after as he will still be able to get her pregnant unless she's a spayed adult. They can mate through cage bars too, as one lady here discovered, so keep them apart :shock:

I would quarantine any new bunny for a month now, but I never have in the past and they've been fine, probably because all rescues give them several thorough vet checks before putting them up for adoption, plus most rescues now vaccinate and will spay adults too. Quite often if a rabbit is from a breeder with a high turnover and poor conditions (and you never know where a pet shop bunny is from) they can carry pasteurella (catches within sneezing distance) coccidia (catches from sharing area where wee/poo is) and even syphilis.

I'm afraid I don't know about keeping them apart to make sure they don't catch anything from each other, but with regard to neutering, I think it is best if you do it before you get another bun.

Male/female pairs seem to work best (though same sex can work too) and a male bun remains fertile for around 6 weeks. I would imagine you'd get far more fighting between two unneutered males than two neutered ones and obviously unneutered male/female pairing is a recipe for disaster.

If I were you, I'd have my boy neutered, wait 5 weeks for hormones and fertility to calm down, then look at bonding him with a neutered female (preferably at a rescue, where you have the benefit of knowledgable experience and a choice of does if your boy is fussy!).

Hope this helps!

all the buns we get here we quarantine for 3 weeks ideally in totally seperate areas ie different rooms and or different ie 1 in doors 1 outside. unless we are over run and then we atleast make sure theres atleast 5 metres or so between.

from 6 weeks they can have the mxy jab and then 2 weeks later the vhd so if ur bunnie is outside when u bring one home its worth getting an inddor cage which then u know for atleast 2 weeks is your quarantine after the worming and vacs etc :)

Regards the neutering - you only need keep them apart for 8 weeks after as he will still be able to get her pregnant unless she's a spayed adult. They can mate through cage bars too, as one lady here discovered, so keep them apart :shock:

QUOTE]

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I think I'll get him neutered, wait the eight weeks, get the new bun, wait a month and then introduce them.

Just to be 100% sure. Gee wiz. Eight weeks. Wow.

And bunny syphilis? What are the signs/symptoms of that?

If you get him neutered, wait two weeks for him to heal and then go to a good rescue and adopt a neutered female they can go together straight away (the rescue will help you bond and will have done vet checks).

Agree with Tamsin. Get yours neutered and after a couple of weeks take him with you to the local rescue centre. That way they can meet on neutral territory and you'll have the choice of several neutered does and the guidance and advice of experienced people.

Ant and Hoops met on Saturday with Honeybunny in Leicester and took to one another instantly. See http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=99084
Took less than 2 weeks for the whole process with us: losing Molly, having Hoops spayed, letting her recover from the op and then meeting Ant.

Hope this helps, x

Can anyone recommend a good rescue in Texas? So far I've only met one bun for adoption, and he was a mean little ****!

Back