• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Prepare To Feel Angry............

I understand that rabbits are a huge problem in Australia. Sorry to use the word 'problem', its terrible, but as a non-native species they are doing damage. BUT sure ly there is a better way to control them? Birth control? As you;ve said before Jane it is such a terrible, slow, evil disease. We took rabbits there and now we are slowly tortoring them to death! We have played god far to often.

its horrible. if someone see's them as vermin then thats there decision...but myxi is horrendous and so many peoples pets wouldnt die if it hadnt been introduced in the first place. its nasty!

The stuff that they are using "Pindone" is a gradual poison too, so it's not even a quick death :cry: I think it is even dyed green too, to make it appealing to the buns :censored: :censored: :cry:

I do understand that wild rabbits are a pest in Australia.

However, it's obvious that things become resistant to organisms which attack it (diseases).

Obviously introducing myxi was a stupid idea.

A better way to cull rabbits would have been traps, or shooting. More time consuming but better all round.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought VHD was a painless death?

Louise

I cannot believe that you think VHD is a painless death!!:shock: :shock: , it is one of the most horrific deaths a rabbit can suffer, albeit it is not slow and lingering, but is truly very, very painful

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought VHD was a painless death?

Louise

VHD is a horrific Virus, and believe you me you dont want to witness a rabbit dying of it:cry: :cry: Many years ago we collected a little bunny from a rescue and within 12 hours of arriving Meg died rapidly and in great pain at the end:cry: :cry: :cry: The vet did a PM and confirmed VHD, we were very, very upset for weeks later, and it still makes me cry now when I think about it.
Man certainly has a lot to answer for about inflicting pain, and misery on other creatures:( :(

VHD is a horrific Virus, and believe you me you dont want to witness a rabbit dying of it:cry: :cry: Many years ago we collected a little bunny from a rescue and within 12 hours of arriving Meg died rapidly and in great pain at the end:cry: :cry: :cry: The vet did a PM and confirmed VHD, we were very, very upset for weeks later, and it still makes me cry now when I think about it.
Man certainly has a lot to answer for about inflicting pain, and misery on other creatures:( :(

Oh Adele how terrible that you have witnessed such a horrific event :cry: :cry:

Poor wee Meg :cry: :cry:

Janex

Woah hold your fire! :shock: :lol:

I've obviously got it mixed up with something else. I wrongly assumed that as symptoms are rarely shown in VHD and death is within a short space of time it was painless.

Louise

Obviously now I've been informed otherwise I agree VHD is not the right way to cull the rabbit population in Australia but they've got to do something.

Louise

I understnad where you're coming from Louise. VHD can be very quick, much more so than myxo, and almost symptomless - rabbit fine the night before and dead in the morning. Sometimes a PM is the only way to find out if it was VHD or not. This is where you get idiot vets saying they have never seen a case of VHD - well, duh.

However, due to the internal damage it causes it's not painless, and I feel very sorry for those people who have been with their buns as they died from it and witnessed what happened.

Woah hold your fire! :shock: :lol:

I've obviously got it mixed up with something else. I wrongly assumed that as symptoms are rarely shown in VHD and death is within a short space of time it was painless.

Louise

:wave: :lol: :lol: :lol: Aawwwww, it is an easy assumption to make Louise;)
Even vets can sometimes give the impression that VHD is painless too:roll:

Back