• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question about Spot On flea/mite treatment for bunnies.

casu consulto

Mama Doe
I use this on my two bunnies to keep them flea free. ^^; A couple of weeks ago, Barney was due his treatment of this and I'd noticed some little flea-type beasties on his back. So, we treated him and as usual he wouldn't leave it alone. He goes crazy trying to reach it and wash it off. Anyway, he ended up dragging the wet patch forwards from the back of his neck, so the fur down his forehead became punkified. Honestly, it formed little spikes and looked quite amusing for a few days.

He's moulting a lot at the moment. But on his forehead, it's almost as if he had dandruff. Each time I brush or gently pluck at his head, the fuzzy fur that comes out seems to have dried skin flakes on the end every now and then. Admittedly, it's less now than it was. And the actual skin on his head does not appear flakey in itself. He is not scratching he head, and there's a tiny patch where it's almost as if new fur is growing as it is much shorter than the fur around it. There are no fleas or crawly beasties visible. He seems to enjoy the fuss and lets me part the fur on his head.

I was wondering if the Spot On can cause a reaction in some bunnies? Because I really cannot see any sort of mite or flea. I realize they might be so tiny that I'd be unable to see them, but he's not scratching more than usual. The only thing I can think of is this Spot On treatment.

hya,i treated mine with advantage flea treatment and the fur on thumpers ears has gone realy thin!dont know if its connected or not.xxx:D

advantage flea treatment? is this for cats or dogs? never heard of it for buns?

we always use valbasen and ivomec or the beapher spot on

it says on the box it can be used for small dogs cats and rabbits over ten wks.been told by someone its c:censored: :censored: p though.:? x

advantage flea treatment? is this for cats or dogs? never heard of it for buns?

we always use valbasen and ivomec or the beapher spot on

My vet gave me advantage for cats when my buns had fleas :D

If you are just trying to prevent them I recommend assisi natural grooming lotion, that way your not putting chemicals on the buns all the time :D

Advantage is for fleas, not mites. Mites need an ivermectin injection or spot-on.

I think it really depends on how much flakey skin there is. It's normal to have tiny flakey bits attached to fur that moults out, especially in hard to groom places.

Some spot-on treatments can cause skin irritation, but usually that makes the skin red and sore looking.

It's NOT normal for rabbits to over-groom one spot, or have constant itching, so I would suggest visiting your vet for a check-up. It might be something uncommon like harvest mites, which a vet could check for under a microscope.

Amy

Back