• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What things do i need to tell my mum....

kelzuna

Warren Scout
Im going on holiday on friday and my mum is looking after Liquorice.

She has never looked after a bunny before so i want to make sure i tell her everything she needs to know. I gave her a bunny book to read but i am now busy writing notes on such things as:

Food (what, when, importance of noticing when he is not eating)
Hutch (cleaning etc)
Vet info

What other things should i include?

Get her to join the forum if she has a computer? Otherwise she just needs to know to stick rigidly to what he's used to eating. It's very easy to try all sorts of new veg on a rabbit, thinking they like veg - which they do but she should know it could kill a rabbit as their tums don't like sudden changes. That's really the main thing, plus if he stops eating or pooping for a day he needs a vet - and if it's 2 or 3 days it's an emergency situation even if out of hours vets.

If you can give her an idea of what means that a rabbit needs a vet ASAP, eg. not eating/hunched over.

When I leave my bunnies (with my mum and she is quite rabbit savvy, thankfully), I sort out their dried food into feeds. That way they only have to put the food in the bowls and you know it's the right amount.

How long are you going away for? When I've been away for upto 5 days and left a neighbour or friend to look after them, I've done the following:

1. Left a sample amount of food in a bowl
2. left portions of prepared veg in sealed sandwich bags (with each pairs names on them as their dietary needs are different) and told them not to give them anything else at all
3. Left prepared litter trays handy so they just have to swop them and dispose of the waste
4. Left contact numbers of the Vet and a rabbit savvy friend
5. Listed details of possible warning signs that indicate health problems (and said I'm happy to pay Vet bills even if it's a false alarm)
6. Left the bag of hay handy with instructions to throw a fair bit of that in every day)

i spent six weeks away from my rabbit this summer and i made sure the week before i left that my mum watched how to look after the rabbit. i showed her exactly what to feed and i wrote out things that a bunny shouldn't do: Dihorea, ect.

i also left the forum's address in her favourites and showed her how to use it. :D but it easier for me cause i still live with my parents.

hope this helps.

Cait

Back