• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jags - first time at vet!

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
Hi guys,
Just looking for some re-assuarance.
Both my bunnies are getting their mhxyi jag this week. They have never been to the vet before and they hate being handled. If you try to pick Leon up he squirms and kicks like mad and you end up all scratched.

Does anybody else have bunnies like this? What are your vet trips like?
Where do they give the jag and can they give it relatively quick?

I'm so nervous for them! He might have to clip their nails too and that'll be another problem!

Hi guys,
Just looking for some re-assuarance.
Both my bunnies are getting their mhxyi jag this week. They have never been to the vet before and they hate being handled. If you try to pick Leon up he squirms and kicks like mad and you end up all scratched.

Does anybody else have bunnies like this? What are your vet trips like?
Where do they give the jag and can they give it relatively quick?

I'm so nervous for them! He might have to clip their nails too and that'll be another problem!

it hinkyou meant the jabs. yes my buns use dto be like this take them in a secure cage/box with plenty of air holes and enough room to move but not jump around. they tend to sit quietly for the vet (hmm who doesnt ever beielve they can be like tigers!) may be part stress part unknown wonder. they wil be stressed the point is to minimise this talk gently to them all the time they will respond to your voice.
on a seperate note i found my buns who hated cuddles liked them on thier terms for example..sit outside with a piece of apple or carrot on your lap or next to you and they came and jumped onto me and let me "hold" them on ground level i think some bus are scared of the height remember it must be like an owl plucking them off the ground imagine how scary!!!

also jab usually in neck behind ears...and verry quick my vet does them in the box for me to minimise stress levels if he not needing to check general health

Last edited:
also please dont worry they wil be fine. jabs are normal things jus t a quick injection less than 5 secs. he will prob wiegh them and do a general health check nails and teeth etc. make sure they get their vhd jabs too...(not at same time) and that you are prepared to put fly strike prventions onn as they get older main thing tho love your buns xxx

My rabbits are all so terrified at the vets they are good as gold, but you need to keep a firm hold on them so take a hand towel to wrap them in as you will need to hold them firmly wrapped if the vet clips their nails - could maybe get those matts you mentioned clipped off at the same time :D

Some vets don't realise the myxi vaccine has to have 10% into the actual skin of the rabbit, so check your vet does this first - you might not notice him do it even so as some vets withdraw the needle partially for the skin bit of the jab.

If you're getting VHD done too there needs to be 2 weeks in between jabs.

Both of mine went to have their jabs a few weeks ago. I was terrified as I'd never been to a vets before- I felt a bit like when I go to the dentist!
One of mine is good to be handled but the other one isn't so I was concerned.
The vet for the myxi had to have the bad one on her back and I did end up wearing most of her fur on my jumper but she wasn't tooo bad.
When we went back for the vhd we had a different vet and he was really really good with her. He let her sit on the table for 5 minutes before he even started and gave her a fuss and by the time she had her jab she was mega chilled.
They will be fine,honest!

Back