• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strange Skin Condition

At the weekend my sis-in-law's bunnie died... and im wondering why?

She took him to the vets a few days before because she thought he had fly strike - but no maggots were found. the vet said to keep him inside and clean and to go back in a week.

Well the next day when i had a look at him she showed me the problem - i have never seen anything like it.

At either side of his tail was a circluar patch of skin - no hair, just skin. they were the same size - about the size of a jam jar lid and the skin was red-ish, almost marbled in pattern and the skin was very hard. alot harder than the skin on your feet.

are these pressure sores? infection? is it part of a skin disease?

He was quite chunky for a medium bunny, lionhead cross and was quite fluffy, male and neutered.

please help

aaawwww dont know what it could be.. ringworm or a fungal infection maybe?? wouldnt have thought that could cause the rabbit to die though:cry: Hopefully someone on here will have better ideas. RIP bunny

It could be from urine scold. They can look a bit like burns but have a hard scab type cover where it's trying to heal. It's possible they could get infected and I guess eventually infection could kill the bunny.

Was she given any treatment from the vet? 'Just keep it clean' seems a little useless really :? I'd be going back to the vet and making a complaint.

Tam

I agree with Tamsin - if it was infected and he didn't get antibiotics then blood poisoning would eventually lead to heart failure - bloomin vet :evil:

i dont know whether it was from urine scold or not.

the skin was pink, with a red 'marble' effect pattern and the skin was very hard. they were jam jar lid size and he had one either side of his tail.

it didnt look infected and were no signs of pus or anything like that

very strange!!!

Back