• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

limping

Julia123

Warren Veteran
hey, i've just got home and one of my bunnys is limping, there is no sign of blood and she's eating. i will take her to the vet tomorrow - but i'm worried about how it could have happened:( i could pop her down to the emergency vet? she's a house bunny and i'm guessing she has jumped up or down off something funny - she can put a little weight on it but holds it up while moving... any ideas or advice please?

hey, i've just got home and one of my bunnys is limping, there is no sign of blood and she's eating. i will take her to the vet tomorrow - but i'm worried about how it could have happened:( i could pop her down to the emergency vet? she's a house bunny and i'm guessing she has jumped up or down off something funny - she can put a little weight on it but holds it up while moving... any ideas or advice please?

Has she had a VHD Vaccination in the last few days?

Janex

yes! on sat morning - why?

Cos it may cause a post vaccination limp.
Dont worry, it should wear off over the next 24-48 hours.
I am collecting data for the manufacturer re post VHD Vaccination limp so if you want your Bun included please PM me Buns full name, date of vaccination, name and address of Vet and how long after vaccination limp occured.

Janex :)

THe limp is one of the "unrecognised"(as yet) side effects of the VHD jab. It clears up by itself I think. There is a link somewhere about this as Jack'sjane(I think!!!!!) was in contact with the manufacturers about it and they were very interested in how common the problem is. Several folk here have reported the "VHD Limp"

limp

how odd!! this is the 4th bunny i've vaccinated and the only one with a limp. i will definately pm you details - so she will be ok? poor little thing :( why does this happen?

limp

thank you both for the reply - am guessing a trip to the vet is not now called for, i'm very interested as to why this should happen and how we can make people more aware - i will mention it to my vet so if you have any details please let me know - also i help with an animal charity and i think it may make a useful article in the next brochure i produce - worried me silly ! so glad i posted on here and got to find out about it :)

limp

I'll get it put on the website and myspace pages too. The charity is FAW - Freinds of Animal Welfare. Its a local organisation and they have events (mainly dog shows) to raise money for various animal charities - mainly small ones who recieve no other funding. Its quite doggy orientated at the mo due to the shows but I'm working on getting some more bunny info together, including re-homing rather than pet shops etc. i need to re-do the website so will make sure bunnies get their own section :D

Glad to hear that you got to the bottom of Nush's problem. I've never heard that before either (and have had Diz, Mol and Hoops vaccinated). Ant's had myxi but will prob have VHD tomorrow. At least I won't be so worried if he limps! x

Cos it may cause a post vaccination limp.
Dont worry, it should wear off over the next 24-48 hours.
I am collecting data for the manufacturer re post VHD Vaccination limp so if you want your Bun included please PM me Buns full name, date of vaccination, name and address of Vet and how long after vaccination limp occured.

Janex :)

I had mine vaccinated 2 weeks ago and both of them had significant limps and one was really quite quiet and unwell. If I hadn't read on here about the VHD limp I would have been severely worried. There is definitely something significant that happens after the injection

limp

be good to get to the bottom of this - and let people know anyone with any info please let me know and i'll post on the FAW sites - thanks

hi again

nushka is still limping and looking rather off colour - i'm working at home today to keep an eye on her - how long before i take her to the vet? - the vax was sat...

Hi Julia - sorry I can't be any more help with Nush, just re-read through the thread and Jane suggests 24 - 48 hours so if she was done sat in theory it should be wearing off by now. Is it still as bad or does she seem to be getting a bit better?xxx

hi again

nushka is still limping and looking rather off colour - i'm working at home today to keep an eye on her - how long before i take her to the vet? - the vax was sat...

You could ask your Vet for a dose of Metacam (anti-Inflammatory) to give her.
I'd also ask your Vet to fill in an 'Adverse Reaction' form to send to the Manufacturer.
I am speaking with them later today and will pass on the details you gave me about your Bun. But it would add weight to the report if your Vet sends the paperwork in (which they are meant to do :rolleyes: )

Janex

heya, it started yesterday afternoon so in theory it should have stopped now, she's asked to go outside so don't think she is in pain...she just looks such a sorry little fluff! just can't decide if the vet would be able to do anything - they hadn't heard of it before... guess they can just give a once over?? xxx

am taking her to the vets at 4.50 and i'll ask them to send the paperwork to the manufacturer. i've checked the injection site and its fine, just her limp - such a strange reaction? poor limpy fluff :(

Liquorice had a limp after his VHD jab too. We were so worried, thought he broken something! He wasnt moving around or cleaning himself.

After 2days he was back to his usual self, the vet said may have caught a nerve - but if others say it is common that will what it will be.

Try not to worry :D

Back