• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding my four

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
After losing Rufus a while ago and then Thistle this week..i decided to bond my remaining 4 bunnies

the first meet
boa.jpg

Fern happy aslong as she is eating
bob.jpg

the boys decide to stick together..in hiding from the girls!
boc.jpg

and Daisy decides she likes to relax with Fern
bod.jpg

So far so good..but it's early days!

If we can impart one pearl of wisdom from the last two weeks' worth of bonding it would be this; just because they're all lovey-dovey and docile and resting during the day, it's a whole new ball-game at night. Having said that, we hope that your bond goes smoothly and the four see sense.

Neil and Maria

Hi Neil and maria

Yep i know even if they seem friends..you have to keep a close eye for at least a week!
Shady is the trouble-causer ...mainly due to him being a scardy cat!:lol:
Fern and George are so laid back they wouldn't care if i added 100 buns...just the other 2 to watch!

Oooh good luck with that, it's looking promising! Funnily enough mine were the opposite to Neil & Marias, they were good as gold at night, all sleepy and snuggly, and bickered during the day. My pearl of wisdom is not to increase the space too quickly - I found that my lot would all cuddle together and groom each other in a dog crate and the utility room, but would fight when I put them outside.

Watching them, what seemed to be happening was that Dudley, who was the 'outsider' from the start of the bond, would run away as soon as any of the other buns moved, and because he ran, they would chase him. In a smaller space this didn't happen at all and whenever a bun moved, the others would just look up and maybe snuggle in for a groom.

So now I have chopped the run in half until they have all properly settled down with each other and it seems to be working a treat, but I'm going to increase the size of the run very slowly until its full size, to try and keep the peace that reigns at the moment!

Well that was over quickly:shock:
I've split them...Fern and George are still together and Shady and Daisy are trying to be a pair..but eh four kicked off and poor Fern just couldn't cope..
I really don't want to stress out my old girl ...so 2 pairs will be fine!:D
(I'm a wuss when it comes to bonding!:lol:)

well Jill you know them best, I think if you are happy with 2 pairs, and they are happy, why worry ;)

I knew when I tried to bond Trinny in with my others that it just wasn't working. I do wonder now whether I should maybe try to get the 5 together, then they could have one massive enclosure, but I am too nervous to try :roll:

Ooooh, is that a big old agouti I see there? :love: !!

Jill, if you need the use of a red playhouse, a yellow plastic chair and a green broom just ask. :lol: :lol:

:wave:

Awwww well done on the two pairs!! Bonding is terrifying....Frasier's ear has now healed up but since the scab came off he now has a big hole in his ear!:shock: :rolleyes: I'm becoming more happy with two pairs rather than stressing about bonding them as a foursome...I may still try but its up to the bunsters at the end of the day..:D xxxxx

Well done Jill, at least Shady is not on his own. Fingers crossed there is no squabbling. I love Daisy, she is beautiful :love:

Yep Dasiy and Fern had an awful fight ....and then the boys joined in..:cry: and poor old Fern started her stress grunting/snuffling....she did it a lot when I first got her and now only does it at the vets..
She was so bad she was having trouble getting her breath and Daisy had a small bite on her side so I thought that's enough....I have the space for 2 pairs ..and trying for a 4 isn't worth risking my gorgeous old lady for ..

Lucky Fern and George have spent the night in the area I had got ready for the 4..
and Daisy and Shady are in a 6 foot hutch at present....re-arranging to be done this week!:shock:

Back