• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blue feeling blue :(

mezrie

Warren Scout
Hello friends,

I am just writing to see if you ever experience your rabbits being off colour. All yesterday Blue was bounding about as she usually does, eating fine. Checked on her last night before i went to bed and she was fine. I woke this morning and there was no bounding over to mefor the food bowl. No bounding whatsoever. She's been huddled in the corner of the hutch all day. To my knowledge she hasn't eaten anything today. Rosies been laid next to her keeping her company. She's just not herself. I've had her out of the hutch to see if i can feel or see anything wrong but nothing is apparent. I've read some of the posts on here about rabbits being off colour and it may be related to digestion of fur or due to her eating newspaper?

Is there anything i can do? I shall take her to the vets tomorrow if there's no improvement by then. Just any advice or experiences you could tell would be most beneficial to me right now. She's usually such a character. Don't like to see her poorly. :(

Thank you

Mez

My buns have been whisked off to the Vets with symptoms as vague as "not their usual self" - I can tell when they're unwell. It has always proved to be Gut Stasis and they have recovered because I got them treated quickly.

Try tempting him with herbs and treats but he will need to see a Vet first thing to get his guts moving. To this date I haven't found the cause of the stasis in my buns.

Good luck

She's eaten.

I've just offered her some green cabbage and she took some of it. Rosie is muching what she's left. That's odd in itself, Blue not trying to eat it all but i'm thankful she's eaten. I spotted her chewing newspaper when i was out there so i wouldn't be surprised if thats contributed to a tummy ache. She's in the best place for the moment. Nice and cool and peaceful out there today. x

Blue continued....any input would be grateful

Well i went out to Blue this morning and she seemed a little more interested in me being there. She took some cabbage from me and she was munching on some fresh hay i put in. She also seemed a bit more mobile, not a lot but a bit. She came out in to the run for five or ten minutes before going in and resting in the corner again. DO you need to make an appointment with the vets or just turn up? It's been a long time x

Sounds like a tummy upset, Charlie goes like that when he gets gut stasis, thankfully its only happened once and wasn't very severe but he did completely stop eating for a short while, is your rabbit pooping normally?

not sure

I am not sure but she is always huddled in the poo corner so possibly constipated. My old rabbit used to suffer from it a bit. So you're right it could be that. She's still eating thank God, is there anything i can do? I think i used to give my old rabbit liquid parafin? Is it something i need to see my vet about or will it get better without and with me treating it as best as possible?

Maybe giver her infacol, there are posts about how much to give, I've never administered it myself but there are others on here who can advise you about it and its in the list of recommended items to have in a first aid box and used when a rabbit has gas.

To prevent it from happening I use a supplement that I put in my rabbits water when he's moulting, recovering from a trip to the vets or is about to go to the vets or likely to encounter any stress through travelling its called Pro-C and made by Vetark, its supposed to aid digestion.

thank you

You've been ever so helpful, thank you. She does seem to have improved today. I'll try out your suggestions and see how it goes. If i see no improvement or if she goes downhill i shall go to the vets. Did you go the vets with your bun bun? I'm reluctant to go as the last time she went she became very stressed out. Your recommendation of the stuff to put in their water was helpful though if it was to come to this. Thank you again xxxx

She sounds like she's in a lot of pain to me - with all the staying in the corner bit, and trying to eat but not as much as normal. It's maybe her stomach hurting, it's maybe her teeth have spurs on at the back which are giving her pain when she eats, it could be cancer if she's not spayed. Whatever it is vital she sees a vet today, whether it stresses her or not - she needs painkillers and a good check over. You have to make appointments to see a vet, so ring first. Be aware the waiting room will be full of dogs and she needs a proper cat carrier that's secure. Be aware that lots of vets know nothing about rabbits either - I hope you are lucky and find one that is interested in them - ask if they've attended small animal conferences to update what they did in college (younger vets are more likely to have done this than old ones, although that is of course not a rule!)

I'd get her to the vets - she sounds like she needs a pain killer & some gut stimulant to make her eat.

infocal

I went out at lunchtime i bought some infocal and some fresh hay. Got home and she was outside in the litter tray which was good really as she's more mobile than she was yesterday. I filled their hay store with hay and scattered a few pellets of excel and proceeded to catch Blue. I got her, a bit of a struggle, which further shows she's back to herself a bit more. The infocal was an orange flavour that she didn't appreciate being stuck in her mouth at first but a few mins after she started licking the dropper on her own...until she really did get fed up with it! Anyway i've put her back in her hutch, plenty of hay and fresh air. I'll see how she is when i finish work later. x

How's Blue, did you go to the vets like several people suggested? It's always worthwhile getting a check up just for peace of mind:D

Nicola

bif was like that and we thought it was the heat till we got up sunday morning..we rang the vets..took their advice and our own experience of treating gi stasis and rushed her in this morning..she still has tummy pain tho.

it may be from an underlying problem like needing a dental too so a vet visit isnt something to put off..

are their any signs of wet poos..bif did loads then a huge one the next day and less and less poos..but shes still pooing so far not much but some.but shes not cured..

i lost darling little oscar last august with gi stasis..i was and still am heartbroken over it..bifs never been the same and suffered gi stasis so much since then. rabbits keep it as quiet as pos when their ill an sometimes even an experienced bunn owner can miss the signals. bf is happy taking the greens but i know shes ill and i can se her body language showing pain...huddled up or meatoaf position not moving much.

liquid paraffifn is no longer recommended for that use...it actually makes it worse as the fluids cant get to the fur etc to wet it to pass..the LP makes it slimey and doesnt break down as its coated in oil. best avoid it!

Blue back to being herself

Hey, i didn't need to go to the vets in the end. I administered infacol and gave lots of tlc and she is back to here normal self. It's lovely to see:) I am going to change her diet a bit though as i think she's too much of a pellet lover and over did it on them. A possibility. I'm also adding more variety at dinnertimes when it comes to veg. Hopefully this will help avoid any future trouble.

Thank you for all your help and concern. xx

Back