• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried....

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
A guy at work has just got a rabbit that his cousin no longer wants.....

He keeps it in his bedroom in a ''hutch'' that when he showed me the dimensions with his hands looked less than 3ft wide.....

When I asked what he feeds him- he said ''cabbage and carrott'' I said - what DRIED food - he said ''raisins'' :eek: :eek:

Im shocked - he does have hay however- but im trying to stress to him that bunny wont last long without food!

Also- he said he would 'bring him into work' when i said how- he said 'in the car' - A bit of an un-necissary stress!

The worst part is he is an adult bunny- so most liekly spent his life in similar conditins!

Print him off some sheets on proper bunny feeding and housing, that poor wee bun!:cry: :cry: :cry: Is he the type likely to listen, or just nod but not do anything? Unfortunately you can talk till you are blue in the face and some prats just never listen.:evil: Good luck!

Print him off some sheets on proper bunny feeding and housing, that poor wee bun!:cry: :cry: :cry: Is he the type likely to listen, or just nod but not do anything? Unfortunately you can talk till you are blue in the face and some prats just never listen.:evil: Good luck!

Hes a nodder and do nothing guy - Ill lend him a book :D

You know all a house rabbit needs to eat is hay, with some veg - no dried food necessary - so what he's feeding is fine :shock: Small cage is OK if the rabbit's free range most of the day too.

Yeah , Iv heard that but he says he feeds him a ''little bit of cabbage'' etc

Im worried he spends the day hungry...

maybe just me

I understand - I would do as everyone else has suggested - maybe you could buy him some food and suggest feeding the rabbit on that - :?
I went into a petshop that did small animal boarding yesterday!
There was a rabbit in there *adult* who was in something that was less than 2 ft I suspect - I got really angry and she said its just for holidays - what the owner brought him in, - I was so upset.
I would never board mine like that in a million years.:( - Those poor bunnies :(

Yeah , Iv heard that but he says he feeds him a ''little bit of cabbage'' etc

Im worried he spends the day hungry...

maybe just me

I know it's hard to judge what 'a little bit' means, but I'd be far more worried by someone feeding too much greens and carrots - and too much dry mix just makes house rabbits fat as they don't tend to burn off as many calories as outdoor bunnies do. Until you've seen the condition of his rabbit it's hard to say - has he got any photos?

You know all a house rabbit needs to eat is hay, with some veg - no dried food necessary - so what he's feeding is fine :shock: Small cage is OK if the rabbit's free range most of the day too.

I thought houserabbits needed a small amount of dry food for the vitamin D, as they can't get it from the sun (well the sunshine through a window doesn't cause the vitamin D producing proceess) or to be fed a range of fresh food that provides the correct vitamins (or a supplement in the water)

I would just stress to him about hay and water, and point out that bunnies teeth grow at 1cm a month and they hay is necessary to grind the teeth down. I'd give him a bag of hay and maybe some pellets too. Surely if you explain why carrots and cabbage is the wrong diet he'll be understanding and do something. You might also want to point out that a bunny on the wrong diet is more likely to be grumpy (ie more unfriendly) and need to go to the vets more (which isn't cheap!).

Back