• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is This a Reason NOT To Vaccinate Against VHD? U/D Vet Called

Will You Continue to Have Your Rabbit Conventionally Vaccinated Against VHD?

• Yes

Votes: 91 88.3%
  • No, I will Use Homeopathic Vaccine

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • No, I will Not Use Any Form of Vaccine

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 4 3.9%

• Total voters

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
A few folk have contacted me expressing concerns since finding out that the VHD Vaccine was developed from 'Animal Testing'- the vaccines are made from inactivated virus prepared from infected rabbit liver extracts.

Some people have said that on finding this out they now DO NOT intend to Vaccinate their Rabbit against VHD. Most have said they will use Homeopathic Vaccination.

Although I am against animal testing for cosmetics etc I do accept that until an alternative is found some animal testing for medical research has to happen.

I certainly intend to continue to use conventional Vaccination for my Rabbits.
Will you?

Last edited:
I don't think me stopping will stop rabbits being used, so I'm with you, I'll keep using it, but thats so awful about the poor infected buns, I didn't realise that!:evil: :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry:

To be honest there's probably barely a drug on the market that hasn't been tested on animals at some point so it would be difficult to take a stand on one and not the others, which could easily put your buns life and health at risk in a number of ways.

Have homeopathic medicines definitely not been tested on animals?

Yes, my bunnies will get their normal VHD jabs this month. I think animal testing is still necessary to develop vaccines. Hopefully research will soon come up with more methods to get vaccines and other medicines from cell cultures etc.. But some things you can't test on cells, you need an animal. Animal testing is cruel, but if it helps to prevent many more animals suffering from a deadly diesease, then they are justified.
I don't trust in homeopathic vaccines, how are they supposed to immunise an animal against one specific disease? They might make the immune system stronger, but a proper vaccine gives the body cells of the actual bacterium, virus, etc. and the body then produces antibodies to that specific structure. A strong immune system alone does not protect you from some of the most evil dieseases.

To be honest I was astounded that some people even considered not vaccinating :?
As Alison says, what medication/vaccine has not involved some animal testing. If you take the stance of not vaccinating against VHD because of how the vaccine is derived then surely that means you cant have your Bun neutered as the GA drugs will have involved animal testing at some stage. You wont give your Bun analgesics, antibiotics etc....etc.....

Janex

I wonder if they would feel the same if someone close to them was ill or dieing, and the only drug that could save them had been tested on animals? (I don't think so) It isn't possible to go through life without using SOMETHING that has been tested on animals. :cry: I will continue to use drugs that have been tested on animals if it means saving the lives of people and animals that I love. If that makes me a selfish person then so be it. ;)

To be honest there's probably barely a drug on the market that hasn't been tested on animals at some point so it would be difficult to take a stand on one and not the others, which could easily put your buns life and health at risk in a number of ways.

Have homeopathic medicines definitely not been tested on animals?

Yes I agree - modern vetenary medicine is based on animal experiments - so would you refuse any kind of vet treatment in that case? I should hope not!

To be honest I was astounded that some people even considered not vaccinating :?
As Alison says, what medication/vaccine has not involved some animal testing. If you take the stance of not vaccinating against VHD because of how the vaccine is derived then surely that means you cant have your Bun neutered as the GA drugs will have involved animal testing at some stage. You wont give your Bun analgesics, antibiotics etc....etc.....

Janex

I agree. Mine will still be vaccinated

yes i will still vaccinate .

as others have said
ALL modern medicine for animals and humans is tested on animals .:cry: :cry:
sad but a fact ....and how many people on here would with hold treatment from themselves or a loved one because of that ....i wouldnt :? :cry:

I wonder if the person who's voted that they wont Vaccinate at all could explain how and why they have come to this decision.
If it is a genuine vote of course..................

Janex

i will still be vaccinating my buns the conventional way

i know animal testing is terrible :( but i am not going to risk the lives of my babies ever!!!

Animal testing is very cruel.....and my heart absolutely wrenches for all those animals that suffer it. But yes, I definately WILL continue to vaccinate my buns using conventional medicines. If everyone stopped vaccinating, we could have outbreaks of these horrid diseases.....and I for one am NOT willing to put my beloved babies at risk. As sad and heartless as it seems, I think it is one of those cases of sacrificing a few to save MANY. Just my personal opinion, of course.

AlisonA has already said every what I would have posted: nearly all conventional medicines have gone through animal testing at some point and I certainly wouldn't ever withhold treatment for my animals if it were neccessary (and imo, vaccines are neccessary)

Pippa and MJ have their vhd tomorrow morning and yes they'll be going otherwise all the animals who have been used in testing will have suffered in vain.

I think it is a rare person who would refuse all known medicine, surgery and any sort of treatment for themselves or their animals as everything will have been tested on animals including surgery etc.

Although I loathe the idea vaccines are tested on bunnies and other animals, I will still vaccinate.
There are no other viable alternatives available, that protect against this fatal disease.

I hate animal testing with a passion. I do not believe (in human medicine) that it truly proves anything and I beleive there are alternatives although I do not know what these are. I will still be getting my rabbits vaccinated for the reaons that others have stated, you can't just randomly pick out one medicine to take a stand against.

Everyone here has already said what I would have said in reply, but I would not put my bunnies in any danger by not vaccinating them.

I hate animal testing in all its forms but I won't let my let my rabbits in danger for it. Being an ashtma sufferer I have to use medicines that have prob been tested that way but have no choice but to use them - so why not for my bunnies too?

Back