• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bun pulling open wound

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
Coffee was speyed yesterday and this morninghad completely opened her stitches up..so back to vet to be re stitched..put her in a baby grow with a bandage holding it in place..

she managed to get it off and.....re open her stitches:cry:
So off to emergencey vet to re stitch the re stitch..have given her sedation which will only last about 2 hours ..can't be given again for 12 hours....and fitted a little collar which I think will drive her crazy..
problem is...how do I stop her doing it again????

My rabbit had to have a collar as he had surgery on his eye and there was no alternative. It did drive him mad but he calmed down within a few hours. We put his pellets in a shallow cat bowl so that he could access them and he had a water bottle instead of a bowl. I had to wash the collar every morning due to the ceocotrophs and clean the cage. It was a nightmare but it is dooable if she really won't keep stitches in! It may be less stressful for her to have a collar than repeat vet visits! He was also on a probiotic.

A lot of vets aren't skilled enough to do invisible stitches :shock: My vet says she does a special type of stitching - just one at a time, finishing off each individual stitch with a knot, so that they don't unravel the whole line by chewing out one stitch, which is what usually happens.

Meantime, you'll just have to put her in the collar and give her extra probiotics or/and hand feed her the caecal poops as she won't be able to reach round. She'll only have a week in the collar, so it's just one of those things I guess, not ideal but better than her opening herself up twice a day :(

I wonder if some bunnies feel more discomfort at the wound site, so they chew it - maybe she could have a local anaesthetic there to numb it?

She is only the 2nd bun ever to open a spey wound from here..(the other one was Su, Cannonwomans Mulberry!)

The vet did some internal stitches but this morning she had really gone at herself...after her re stitch she was actually fighting my hand in the car to get at the wound again:shock:

Vet said very few rabbits do this but those that do tend to be determined!

Some wound glue? This seems to deter even the most determined chewy small furries we find, I wish we could make them understand its for their own good and to leave it alone, in the long run its worse for them!
Gentle hugs to her.

she is now stitched and glued...and collared..but going mad..and has had some sedation..but no ones told Coffee this:shock:

Stick her out with the collar jill .:? she ll get used to it in a while .

keep a close eye on her though as theyre not fool proof and buns can sometimes get them off or half off and stuck .:shock: :?

we have Millie in a collar . she had to have a wound stitched but she started pulling the stitches out so we put a collar on ...it all healed nicely so we took it off . a week later and shes bit sround it so bad that its all raw again ....so collar is now back on ..silly girl:roll:

first time it realy freaked her . the first night we were scared she d realy injure herself ...but this time shes just accepted it no problem at all .:?

good luck :)

Well Coffee got through the night with the collar on and has been eating and drinking....and hasn't been able to open her wound..Hooray!:D

Fingers crossed this keeps going..
thanks for all the comments

Well Coffee got through the night with the collar on and has been eating and drinking....and hasn't been able to open her wound..Hooray!:D

Fingers crossed this keeps going..
thanks for all the comments

Pleased to hear Coffee has gone through the night without taking her stitches out again.

Ange

Yep Ange..so am I :lol:
Thanks for playing Chaffeur last night..shame about the boot sale ..I bet we'd have sold all those dusty books!:lol:

Glad to hear that Coffee is beginning to behave herself! Was thinking of you! Fingers crossed that she's gone past the self-destruct stage! x

We had this problem with casey last week.....she ate nothing for two days and then ate all her stitches.

We applied antiseptic powder to the wound and bandaged it with a sterile gauze pad over the affected area...and wrestled a lampshade on her :rolleyes:

When we got her to the vets she had to be restitched too but they used internal sutures and glue to hold the wound closed. She also had to keep the collar on for two days.

Its well healed now but its quite unsightly and rather lumpy, it certainly wont be neat! Strangely we were petrified about another sedative when she responded so badly to the first but when we collected her she was buzzing about!

I just read about Coffee in the other thread, what a stressful time for you, Jill. As I said in the other thread, Penny had opened her stitches, too. I don't know what Eve did to keep her from doing it again, though.
Glad the little lady is calming down now.

The problem is she is so tiny the vet couldn't find anything to fit on her..so we tried a cut-down baby vest tied on with banage..it worked for a few hours..then she had it off and her stitches re opened..
so vet nurse them cut down the tiniest collar and cut the width too to make a sort of neck-brace.....
so far so good!

hi - i know its difficult :roll: this is my boy last year... after pulling out stitches and glue for the second time ! he ended up in th collar for 2 weeks - but it was worth it, as soon as it came off he picked the scab off - luckily the wound had healed by then ! it was a nasty fight wound so probably took longer to heal than yours - good luck ! ps as you can see he still managed to eat the yellow pages with the collar on !! he actually ended up using it as a scoop and a place to rest the big pages :lol:

25-03-06_1522.jpg

25-03-06_1521.jpg

Back