• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Odd bonding behaviour??

clairey

Young Bun
Hi all,

I have now put my Bruiser & Daisy together & they were getting on fine, lying together and eating together etc for a few days, but then all of a sudden when it gets dark all Bruiser does is thump every minute or so. So I am having to take one of them out of the cage overnight in order to not completely annoy the neighbours. :oops: They are fine during the day & he never thumped this much before I put them together? Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for your help!! :D

I've been looking after a rabbit like that (she went home today, hopefully I'll be able to sleep).

Is there anything around that could be scaring him? I have lots of foxes and cats in my garden which sometimes set my lot off.

There are a couple of cats in the area that walk along our back fence & that's why he used to do it before I put them together. His thumping would scare the cats off so he would only do it a couple of times & then stop!

My bunny Harley thumped non-stop when he was first bonded with Jen: I think it was partly due to sheer temper when she wouldn't stop and groom him as requested! It did settle down after the first 24 hrs though and he stopped thumping altogether :D

Sometimes a change of scenery or new buns on the patch can set off thumping like this. I would leave them together and see if it will pass - I bett it does. It seems a shame to keep separating them and it may just prolong the thumping.

Back