• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bit Of Advice Please On Metacam

Hi guys, I noticed Smokie had a large scab on his nose today, I have taken him to a vet, a different vet to which I normally use as they were shut, and they have said it looks like he has either caught it on something or one of the other rabbits has nipped him. They have prescribed metacam and said to gim him 0.5ml twice a day, however, the box says for dogs on it?? Please could someone tell me how much he should be having bearing in mind the strength is 1.5mg/ml. I also noticed at the same time he has a very small wart type thing on his eye, been told not to worry! I thought about myxi when I saw the scab on his nose and eye, but he is upto date on vaccines and he is showing no other signs. He is running around like a mad thing and his eyes are wide open and bright, just feeling sorry for himself having a large scab on his nose!

Hi guys, I noticed Smokie had a large scab on his nose today, I have taken him to a vet, a different vet to which I normally use as they were shut, and they have said it looks like he has either caught it on something or one of the other rabbits has nipped him. They have prescribed metacam and said to gim him 0.5ml twice a day, however, the box says for dogs on it?? Please could someone tell me how much he should be having bearing in mind the strength is 1.5mg/ml. I also noticed at the same time he has a very small wart type thing on his eye, been told not to worry! I thought about myxi when I saw the scab on his nose and eye, but he is upto date on vaccines and he is showing no other signs. He is running around like a mad thing and his eyes are wide open and bright, just feeling sorry for himself having a large scab on his nose!

The dose of oral Metacam is 0.1-0.2mg/kg every 24 hours

Each 0.1ml Metacam = 0.15mg

0.5ml is a HUMUNGOUS dose :? 0.75mg :?

For example a 2kg Rabbit would need a MAXIMUM dose of 0.4mg which is about 0.27ml

I have to admit to being concerned re the scabs/warts on his nose and eye :? Vaccinated Rabbits can still get Myxo, usually the Nodular type, and they can recover. I would keep a close eye on Smokie.

Janex

well thats what I thought Jane thats why I didn't want to give him it to start with until I checked. Is it normal for it to say for dogs on the packaging as I have never had the packaging before just a container with some in from the vet. He is happy in himself and I have just found some bite marks and scabs on his back which make me think they have been having a scrap!

oh forgot to say he seems normal in every other way and his bits and pieces are all normal.

Yes, Metacam is not actually Licensed for Rabbits, that's why they are not mentioned on the packaging. It is OK to use at the correct dose. If he is to be on it for a few days then your Vet may want to prescribe an anti-gastric ulcer drug too (Ranitidine/Cimetidine). Longterm use of Metacam can lead to gastric ulcers, oral Metacam being more of a risk than that given by injection

Janex :D

Metecam is only liciensed for dogs (well now for cats too) but thats why it says dog on the box.

Edit-oops answered same time as Jane:D

thank you guys, He is only on a course for 3 days then back at the vets. He is running around like a nutter, I have bought him in the house and he is having a good old nose.

well I really dont know Jane I was so worried and still am that I may have mis heard, the syringe is in ml so wouldnt have thought he mentioned anything in mg. Just given him 0.1ml and will do the same in the morning.

As I said he seems fine in his self even a little more cheeky than normal.

Last edited:
well I really dont know Jane I was so worried and still am that I may have mis heard, the suringe is in ml so wouldnt have thought he mentioned anything in mg. Just given him 0.1ml and will do the same in the morning.

As I said he seems fine in his self even a little more cheeky than normal.

Hopefully he'll heal up nicely :D

Janex

Fingers crossed jane, he is staying in tonight although I do not want to upset the others but not having him there, if that makes sense. I don't want to lose him as I love him so much.

Fingers crossed jane, he is staying in tonight although I do not want to upset the others but not having him there, if that makes sense. I don't want to lose him as I love him so much.

Awww I'd let him stay with his friends. I am sure he'll be fine with them and if you keep him indoors tonight then he may become 'unbonded'.
If he is eating and pooing and behaving normally then I'd let him stay with his friends

Janex

Just gone to do the last check of the night on the buns and smokie sits in the shed having a wash and misty sits beside him trying to groom him. I have checked Misty and ozzy over and no scabs or anything and smokie still seems perky in himself, I wonder if he could have been alergic to anything in my garden as he was out with the others on thursday evening playing in and out of the bushes and plants.

Back