• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Dutch with white/black fur inverted

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
http://www.calgaryhumane.ca/

click the above and pick Adoption/Browse

Scroll down and find 89638

Name Shelby

I have never seen a dutch like this. Usually the fur color is inverted, i.e., some part white, some part black. I never seen one where the face is white, but the rest all black

Yes, she is a mismark.................but she is unusual, and absolutely GORGEOUS, and I would SO badly LOVE to have her!!!!!! If she was in the UK I would be arranging a bunny run as we speak!!!!!:love: :love:

What exactly is a mismark? And how can you tell? Are you guys saying anytime there is a bun with that color combo, it's a mismark?

She is really pretty. Is she actually dutch though or a cross breed. Her ears look shorter and her face has quite a nethie look.

Mismark is just a way used to term animals who are not classically marked with white in certain areas where they should be, does that make sense?!:lol: I have a mismarked hoodie rat, meaning he is a hooded but his dorsal stripe is not a whole line making him 'mismarked', it can relate to any animal, it basically is too much white where there shouldnt be.
Its a term used a lot in Border Collies, here a page full of gorgeous mismarked collies, thay have too much white on the face to be 'breed standard', however I love it when they have lots of white on the face CLICK
I cant really find any pics of mismarked bunnies.

Last edited:
For those who cant find Shelby.. here she is
http://http://www.calgaryhumane.ca/adoption/89638.jpg[img]

*hmmm cant get the photo to show and when i put the direct link it says page cannot be displayed. Ok those who cant find her... go to the browse page, then click on show all as tumbnails.. Scroll to the bottom.. she is second in from the left and 4th row up.. same row as a snake :shock:

A mismark just means that it isnt a true Dutch pattern. My Nala probably has some dutch in her background as she has a white stripe down her nose and also blue eyes are from dutch background i believe;)

Last edited:
Here she is!:D :D :D

Shelby
AShelby.jpg

Diddeen, there is such a feature as "blue eyes" bunny? That's like bunny wearing contact lenses.

Anyhoo, a normal black/white dutch looks like this:

dutch-rabbit-0010.jpg

So compares to Shelby, it looks like her front body fur should be white but turns out to be black, so her face is the same as the other photo.

Anyhoo, is misalign means bad genes? Does misalign means some sign of bad health in any way?

Mismarked means that a rabbit doesn't meet breed standard (for showing) because the colour of it's fur doesn't exactly meet the standard.

So on a dutch is clear to see what their pattern is. A common example in cats (and other animals) is that a self coloured animal (i.e one colour all over) has a small patch of different coloured fur - e.g. a black cat with a spot of white on it.

Mismarked animals don't have any particular heath problems, or anything, they simply don't have the exact patterns/makings that the breeders have worked on and classed as a breed standard.

In different animals there can also be lots of other things that mean they don't meet the breed standard such as the wrong size/shaped ears. Too small, or large/bulging eyes. A kinked tail. Too short or long limbs or just the wrong body shape. its a bit mad really!!!

Anyway... I love Shelby's little white paw!:D

Back