• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Coccidia - are we being over cautious?

sgprescue

Mama Doe
A VN friend of mine fosters bunnies for me, she has recently been taking all the babies that I dont have room for. In the last week or so she has had a lot of problems with some of the babies developing bloat and diarrhoea, some were so bad that dispite intensive treatment had to be pts :cry: . She had a poo sample sent off for testing and this evening the results came up showing positive for Coccidia. Has anyone had to deal with it before? I have heard so much about it in the past but neither me or Angela have had to deal with it before. Because of the way she keeps the bunnies (huge sheds with enclosures rather than hutches) there is a chance the rest could have become infected despite looking healthy. As a precautionary measure I have suggested treating all of the bunnies (I think she has about 20 there :( ) for the recommended 10 days and not move any in or out. Claire and Phil were supposed to pick up Candy and Jasper tomorow but that is now going to have to wait as they are also at Angelas.
I know the recommended treatment is Trimethroprim (septrin) but because of the because of the quantity you have to give and the number of bunnies she has its going to be one hell of a task for her to treat them all. I read on a website about the use of Sulphadimethoxine in drinking water, does anyone know anything about its use and availability? or have any other suggestions?

:wave: Cheryl - we used Sulphadimethoxine in the drinking water a few years ago when we lost a bun to Coccidiosis - none of the other buns got ill and thankfully it was eradicated - I would go with that every time now.
At least you had the stool sample done right away to find out what it could be - and treating buns that have no symptoms is also the way to go about it. It doesn't harm the buns and it's best that all buns are treated as a precautionary measure.

When I first got my rabbit Fuzzy in 2000, he wouldn't eat etc. The Vets diagnosed him with Coccidiosis and he also had Molor Spurs which had hurt his tounge, he was very ill and a baby. I got him from Pets At Home and my Vet got onto the phone to them to tell them, they shouldn't be selling rabbits like this. Pets At Home offered to 'replace' Fuzzy, but he was mine and I was already attached.
I don't know what he was treated with now, as I have since moved and have left invoices and things in storage. I do remember having to thouroughly clean his hutch out before he came home, and he did come home and got through the Coccidiosis.
Fuzzy died in 2003 through other problems, he had a very tough short 3 years of his life but was the friendliest and loving of rabbits I have known.

Back