• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rupert has chapped lips!!

Kim_w

Mama Doe
I was stroking him on our bed the other night and I felt a scab on the corner of his mouth, as I looked closer I realised his mouth was cut on both sides. I felt so guilty that I hadnt noticed sooner but he was eating, drinking and behaving normally. The vet said he has had chapped lips that had gone a bit infected!!! I didnt know rabbits could get chapped lips!! I have to rub cream on the corner of his mouth twice a day which is hard enough without the vet saying " try not to let him lick it!?!?!?"

Bless him!!

I know this is different, but our guinea pig Rosie had a sore on her mouth and it turned out to be because she'd had a bit too much fruit and she wasn't used to it (this when we first had her) hth x

Awwww poor Bun :cry:
Have you checked his 'boy bits'. Treponamatosis (Rabbit syphylis) presents with sores on the mouth and often the genitals too. If the cream does not resolve the soreness on his mouth I'd take him back to the Vets as treatment for Treponamatosis is Penicillin Injections, one a week for 3 weeks.

Janex

Back