• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

deworming treatment for my bunnies

Hi can anyone advise any techniques or tricks they use when giving their bunnies deworming treatment (squirting tube into mouth). Despite my vet's assurances, Cookie and Ginger both hate it and it gets very messy with the cream ending up everwhere. As they need to be treated for 9 days continuous, every three months we will be doing this quite regularly and I really need help!

I know some bunnies really hate it. I just find with mine if I put the syringe in the side of the mouth far enough (but obviously not too far), it goes in with no chance of it coming back out down their fronts!

I put Tango's on a very small piece of strawberry. I tried putting the syringe in the side of his mouth and wrapping him in a towel (which he tolerated really well at the vets so it could just have been me) but when I tried at home he used to get really stressed. He took it on the strawberry great though.

With baytril (as my buns don't like baytril, but do like panacur) i hold them on my lap, facing away from me. I grip them with my arms as I lean over them to open their lips on one side. Aim to get the syringe in behind the front teeth, aiming backwards to their throat, and as SarahP says, then squirt it in. It doesn't ususally come out again.

I was worried about the stress that syringing the treatment would cause.

I syringed it (Panacur, for rabbits) the first day and one liked it and the other didn't (Murray, he's easily stressed). So I tried piping it along the length of a pellet and they both ate them , no problem. Even looked for more:roll: :lol:

I think the stress of the syringe in the mouth put Murray off, not the taste.

To begin with all four of bunnies hated having panacur... then the benjamin decided he liked it... and would want more! :lol: video here - http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k304/neonchili/?action=view&current=31eff90c.flv

If like Sarah says, you go to the side of the mouth it is loads easier, make sure you hold them firmly. I think its a two person job.

The last few days of the 28 day course, i could hold the syringe out in front of the buns and they would hop over and start licking and biting it, and i could give them it that way... :D :D

I hide it in something, break a sugar snap pea in half and put the paste in there, or the only treats my two have are these little hollow square biscuits called Loftys, I split them open, put the paste in and glue the two sides back together - they don't appear to notice! :shock:

Some of my buns took theirs on a dried cranberry - wolfed it down, but the 2 giants were having none of it.
I had to put theirs in their mouths, but dispensed it from the Panacur tube into a small syringe first so I knew they were getting the right dosage (they had to have 2 graduations each time) and the tube was easier to handle.

Back