• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Damn EC :(

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
Clover started going into stasis again last night (for about the 20th time), so I got to bed really late, after giving her all the usual drugs etc. She's full of beans this morning, and trying to break into the room I'm in at the moment as I write! :roll: :lol:

But I've also seen some early signs of incontinence (I don't know in which bunny), which must have happened yesterday. Despite the fact that my 2 have had lots of Panacur, they've never had more than 28 days on the trot. I'm now going for 6 weeks. :(

Oh and to update on the Ivomec that I was trying - this worked really well at first. You do one dose, then another follow up after 7 days, then another in 3 months. Trouble is, it only worked for 2 weeks. At the point where the Ivomec, I guess, 'ran out', Dusty went all quiet and peculiar and Clover started going into stasis. :roll:

Sorry - not really looking for help here, just need to rant in my sleep-deprived state!!!! :(

I'm sorry to hear this Sarah, and I hope your bunnies will be ok, and that you can get some sleep sometime soon.

Lou x

I think we're all entitled to rant sometime, lol.

I'm turning in to a bit of a hypercondriac with my bunnies... I come on here to check everything, and I have loads of sleepless nights because of them. I lost my last bunny to mucoid enteritus, and I'm so scared of anything happening to these too now.

I do hope they're ok x

I've not been on here much recently so don't know the history of your buns illness, is the stasis a result of EC?

My bun is currently being treated for EC, he's been completely on his side all week, just starting to get up on his feet a bit so definitely making progress. We still have him on twice daily injections of Maxillon to prevent stasis, he's coming home for the weekend so our plan is to continue with this (I have injection lessons tomorrow!) while he's at home and then reduce it when he's back with the vet on monday and stop it completely later in the week. Is it wise to keep going? Does EC cause gut stasis too?

(Charlie is also on baytril, long action steroids, and an injectable form of panacur which I can't remember its name - just in case this makes a difference)

I hope your bun gets better soon, sounds like you've have a nightmare recently, sending lots of snuggles to Clover.

Yes, although it's not particularly a recognised symptom of EC, my bunnies' main symptom has always been recurrent stasis - basically one gets it, then the other does, and so it goes on!

But, they are always OK if they are on Panacur, so I think with your bunny, it's something to look out for, but whilst they are on Panacur, you'll probably be OK. Sending good vibes to your bunny! :)

Are you certain that EC is the problem? For example a bladder infection can cause incontinence and could also be ongoing for a while without noticeable symptoms. The pain/discomfort could also cause stasis as a secondary condition.

Tam

Yes I'm certain - this has been going on for over a year now and I've had a positive EC test.

sorry this keeps happeing. atleast you are able to treat them yourself and you don't have to drag them to the vet. I know its probably not much consolation x

Actually it really does make a difference - I am so less stressed knowing I have the meds to treat them here. There is nothing like the frustration of just standing there staring helplessly at a sick bunny. Obviously easier on the pocket too! I'd be at the vets every week if it wasn't for being able to treat them myself. :)

Yes I'm certain - this has been going on for over a year now and I've had a positive EC test.

Have you also considered that some bunnies have EC all of the time too but no symptoms, so a positive test isn't necessarily the end of the story. My vet was talking about testing Lavender (Charlies friend) and if she is positive for EC to do it again a week later as an increase would show that it needs treating. We've discussed it a lot and haven't completely decided what to do yet - we both said we'd look into it further especially as Charlie is being treated for both EC and an ear infection so we don't completely know which one it is!

Does long term treatment with Panacur have any side effects?

Yes it probably does have side effects - that's why I wish I'd known in the first place that a 28 day course isn't enough (have done lots of reading on it now).

I really don't need any more evidence to know that EC is causing these problems - as soon as they are treated with Panacur, they are back to their normal selves. But it comes back. :(

I know I have little knowledge, so this isn't advice but thought I'd mention that my vet said urine spotting etc can be associated with a bloated tum if it is really bad as the stomach is pressing on the bladder where it is swollen. :?

SarahP - something just struck me (I really should have thought about this earlier), Charlie has a problem with Calcium and until I got his diet right he used to get stasis a lot, and have bouts of being incontinent. When a bun is incontinent is the urine thicker than usual or very milky?

I'm just thinking that the panacur might be working on something else which is why is alleviating the symptoms for a while but not curing it completely. I'll have a look into what panacur contains and have a think about it (can you tell I'm a scientist!).

I know I have little knowledge, so this isn't advice but thought I'd mention that my vet said urine spotting etc can be associated with a bloated tum if it is really bad as the stomach is pressing on the bladder where it is swollen. :?

Interesting - haven't seen any problems today so hopefully it was something from yesterday. :)

fingers crossed

I know its mentioned before but when I spoke to my vet the other day he also said that a positive test doesn't mean they have ec just that they have at some point been in contact with a bun with EC. I'm bringning it up again becasue I really hope it isn't. THe calcium is interesting. I haven;t heard of that, I will look into that too.

The incontinence thing only reared its head (so to speak) yesterday - never seen any problems whatsoever before. The urine is definitely not milky - if anything I'd say it's very orange and 'strong' looking.

Oh no, sorry to hear Clover has had stasis problems again :cry:

Even though you can treat it, it must be incredibly frustrating when it all starts over again :(

To follow up on the incontinence thing. Bunnies sometimes become incontinent because of pain. I have one bunny with EC who is a bit leaky, but I don't know whether it's the EC (there is none of the associated back leg weakness) or pain related. He had ulcerated eyes too which may have been causing pain, now clearing up with eye drops.

I have another bun who leaks wee when her teeth are playing up.

They are complicated creatures, these bunnies! I know this isn't terribly helpful but it's as well to know what other things can cause the incontinence as well as EC. :)

Back