• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

prep spray boy

If you've got a buck (male rabbit) then he will be castrated. A female rabbit is spayed (not sprayed).
They can eat and drink right up until the surgery, so no need to starve him or anything like that. Ask your vet/vet nurse about after care. Generally it's keeping them quiet and warm and try to get them eating or drinking again by offering favourite foods. HTH x

I've just had my two bucks neutered... I was advised to take them for a check up before they were due to go in for their operation to see if they're healthy enough for it, and to see if the testicles had dropped. They were then booked in under the advice that they had to eat and drink up until the operation (rabbits can't vomit). The procedure involves removing their testicles, and all that will be aparant afterwards is a small scar from the stitch, and swollen testicles (which, I am told, will go down within a week or so).

When they came home, as they're house rabbits at the moment, we had them resting only on a blanket, in their litter trays we've used paper instead of the litter we usually use (megazorb) and you've to watch that they eat, drink and poop... which they may not for a few hours after the op, but it's important to try and temp them. They will be sleepy, but many rabbits would refuse some nice greens.

I'd much rather go through a neuter than a spay anyday.

Back