• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

greeting/picking up

lydxx

Young Bun
i was just wondering how people pick there buns up?

bobbie runs and hides in her corner if its night because she does not want to go in, also i think it is due to being mishandled by previous owners.
rocky had not been picked up for 3 and half years, yet now he comes running up to me and literally jumps into my arms for cuddles.
i guess its just there personality's but is there anyway to make Bobbie more comfortable

RE: Bobbie

Hey
My rabbit was similar when i first got him i usually find it helps to clap ur hands and walk behind him to get him in shouting in and giving him praise wen he does so as this should make it easier night after night.
Also the handling i usually stroke my rabbit then pick him up so he has time to calm down
Good Luck :)

Stroke her until she puts her head down before you pick her up, scoop her up and hold her close, keep stroking her head and talking to her. To get Charlie in his hutch before he'd jump in on his own I knelt down so that my knees touched it and let him run in off my lap, his hutch is inside his pen now so he goes in and out as he pleases.

I think it can depend on the bunny. I once had a rabbit, called Bonnie, who hated being handled. She was a very independant rabbit, and so for her, being handled when she did not want to be, and not being in control, really upset her. She'd thump around in her hutch afterwards, though once held she was relatively calm and never struggled until I came to put her down.

My current two bunnies are quite good. Barney can either be lovely, and practically jump into my arms... or, he becomes naughty and makes me chase him before settling down to be picked up like, 'oh, fine then'. Amber, who I was told hated being handled, is lovely. She never runs away. But once held, she sometimes does wriggle... she hates the sound of kids running by. I don't know why, because I don't know about her past. She was found all torn up, running wild. Her wounds were described as looking as if someone had slashed her with a knife. Once the two of them are in my arms, they're fine. Barney likes to look around, or nuzzle under my chin and lick my neck. Amber isn't curious, but just nuzzled under my chin and has started licking my neck, too.

:)

I always pick them up from the front... I think that's where the people taking care of Amber went wrong. When we first saw her, they grabbed her from behind.

Hey
My rabbit was similar when i first got him i usually find it helps to clap ur hands and walk behind him to get him in shouting in and giving him praise wen he does so as this should make it easier night after night.
Also the handling i usually stroke my rabbit then pick him up so he has time to calm down
Good Luck :)

I would imagine clapping your hands and shouting would scare the living daylights out of a rabbit that already runs and hides when its time to go in!! :shock: :shock:

I would take the time to sit with the rabbit in the run, let her come up and sniff you and get used to you being there, when shes relaxed start stroking her, and after 5 - 10mins of stroking her attempt to pick her up. A slow build up may soothe her nerves.

Otherwise you could try training her to climb into a carrier and use that to transport her between run and hutch - she may be happier with that??

I would imagine clapping your hands and shouting would scare the living daylights out of a rabbit that already runs and hides when its time to go in!! :shock: :shock:

I would take the time to sit with the rabbit in the run, let her come up and sniff you and get used to you being there, when shes relaxed start stroking her, and after 5 - 10mins of stroking her attempt to pick her up. A slow build up may soothe her nerves.

Otherwise you could try training her to climb into a carrier and use that to transport her between run and hutch - she may be happier with that??
confidence is not the problem she will quite hapy come sit on my knees, be stroked, give kisses play ect , just hates being lifted up

Back