• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First aid box. How much?

tracyuk

Mama Doe
I was just looking at the thread on first aid boxes and realised I dont have anything. Rory was off colour the other night and I am pretty sure he had a tummy ache. lots of TLC and tummy rubs and he is back to normal. I am going to buy some Infacol incase it happens again and I thought I would collect some of the other stuff on the list.
I am a good bunny mummy (Honest):oops: and should have got this sooner.
I am a bit short of funds at the mo so what would say are the essentials and how much should I expect to pay for it.
Thanks

Blimey.....mine just sort of built up, I have no idea how much I have spent on it!

I would say:
syringes
science recovery feed
probiotic
vaseline/sudocreme
infacol
gauze
styptic powder
flea/mite/fly spray
nail clippers
good scissors
unscented wet wipes

Thanks. Alot of this is stuff I can find at Tesco. I will just throw the items in my trolley next time I am there

So glad you posted this I'm also putting one together at the moment incase my boy's not feeling great. I don't suppose you could identify what these would be used for?

-vaseline/sudocreme
-infacol

Last edited:
Infacol is given for wind. :) Rabbits with gurgly tummies has wind, me thinks. It's used for babies, but is safe for rabbits.

As for vaseline... Um, I'm guessing that can be used for sore hocks. I'm not sure what else. :oops:

You could probably get your vet to give you some syringes for free next time you're in, and instead of Science Selective you could always soak their normal pellets in warm water to syringefeed :)

Read this on the first aid thread.
Great tip, will be putting calpol in the trolley too. Hope none of my friends see me, they might think I am hiding something from them!:lol:

Calpol is for pain relief - 1-2ml depending on the size of the bunny.

There's a "holy trinity" of things to treat/prevent GI stasis or bloat in the very early stages... when the rabbit won't eat, looks more quiet than normal and may also be lying in an unusual position (before any other symptoms are seen):

10ml pineapple juice
1-2 ml Calpol
Infacol

The pineapple juice will help to shift any blockage, e.g. hairball.
The Calpol is for pain relief - rabbits don't want to eat if in pain, and they should eat to keep the gut moving.
Infacol to help with gas.

This combination, together with massaging the abdomen, can nip gastric problems in the bud. If it turns out to be more serious, conditions worsen or no improvement is seen after a few hours, then I would consult a vet. But the above remedies will not hurt if it turns out to be something else, and the pain relief will give the bunny some comfort at least until seen by the vet.

Quote from Pendragon

Vaseline is a great barrier cream....if you have a rabbit with a UTI infection and wet back end it can be used to prevent urine burn.

Back