• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried after neuter =[ INC Photo's (not nice)

loobie_lou

Mama Doe
Hey all,

Well we've been watching Jamie and Kitt alot since they had their operation - and they've been eating, pooping, peeing and drinking fine, however I have a slight concern.

As I'm not too familar with the neutering I asked the vet nurse to explain the procedure to me before I went in with them - she explained that they'd have their testicles fully removed, etc etc.

Anyway, I've been at work this morning and Hawys has cleaned out the bunnies and checked them over - and thinks they still have their testicles :shock: Looking at Jamie it just looks like he still has his testicles, and Kitt is the same... I understand there'll be some swelling, so I phoned the vet.

When I phoned the vet they pulled up the notes and confirmed that they both had their testicles removed, would it still look like they have testicles because of the swelling? Here's 2 photo's of what Jamie looks like....

testiclestwo.jpg

testiclesone.jpg

Please advise

Thanks,

Lou

Last edited:
Male neutered rabbits can often look like they have small testicles immediatly post operative due to swelling and blood collection in the sacs. As time goes on this swelling and blood will disappear and the sacs will wither away and they won't be noticable after a week or more, sometimes this can take a little longer.

It looks normal for a post castration to me. The swelling should subside in a few days....if they grow, harden or look weepy have a vet take another look at them.

Thanks Sooz, that's all I needed to know =]

There's been no discharge or anything, and they're both acting relatively normal... I feel so much better now, thank you =] xx

I shouldn't laugh but that pic is so funny he is totally laid back showing his mickey mouse to the world. :lol:

Im really amazed you get Jamie to lie down like that without a fuss!

What age is Jamie?

I have two boys, Im still not sure whether to get them neutered but I know for sure checking them will never be that easy. My dont like it even if you clap them too long!

Im really amazed you get Jamie to lie down like that without a fuss!

What age is Jamie?

I have two boys, Im still not sure whether to get them neutered but I know for sure checking them will never be that easy. My dont like it even if you clap them too long!

I'm really lucky with Jamie, he much prefers being held like a baby than being held with his body on me - he tends to nip and struggle if I hold him like that. He even falls asleep being held like a baby =]

He's now roughly 4 months and 2 weeks old.

How old are your two? Because I purchased Kitt and Jamie as girls, and had them initially sexed by the vet as girls I grew suspicious when Jamie started humping Kitt - so I thought I had a boy and a girl so I seperated them, then a week or 2 later Kitt started humping Jamie - so I'm assuming they reached sexual maturity around 3 and a bit months. The vet then said they're both defo boys, so I booked them in for Wednesday and they're all sorted now.

It would have been impossible for Jamie and Kitt to remain bonded had I not got them done. They live in adjacent pens at the moment so they can still see each other, but I'm not putting them back together until all the swelling has reduced. We supervise them in the kitchen for exercise though, and they're all cuddles... they're lovely together.

Oh, and to update on Jamie and Kitt... the swelling has gone down loads on both of them... and Jamie isn't looking sore anymore. They're both still eating (Jamie has finished off his food from yesterday morning, then again last night) and Kitt is eating really well too - preferring is hay to science select. They're both using their water bottles rather than the bowls of water now, so I'm assuming it doesn't hurt them now to stretch forward.

One question though, I've been using newspaper instead of Megazorb in their litter trays as I didn't want anything to get in to the swollen area or anything. When should I go back to megazorb? We're changing the paper and cleaning the tray at least 4 times a day, lol.

Oh good to hear things are back to normal - they looked sore in those photos. My boys had already been done so I've no experience of boys bits! :oops:
However, for the litter trays have you got any vet bed? You could use this with megazorb underneath and that will keep them drier than just newspaper. Or use towels instead - just alot of washing for you to do!

Vetbed is fleecy stuff that you can buy online. It's great stuff, as the urine wicks through it to whatever you have underneath (eg newspaper), keeping relatively dry. I use it a lot with my piggies.

Only problem I found with the bunnies after their ops was that they got really riled up with it, hurling it around, turning it upside down etc! :roll:

You can get the vetbed from Pets at Home if you need it today - but they're quite expensive for what you get. I've just ordered some from the zooplus website and thats loads cheaper.

Back