• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

neuter or not nueter - your opinions?

Would you get Liquorice neutered?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kelzuna

Warren Scout
My vet recently advised me that he would not neuter my male bunny if it was not necessary e.g. overly aggressive, contraception purposes etc. We dont have another bunny.

Liquorice isnt really aggressive, he just bites when we try and get him from behind the sofa...thats the only time.

Ive read i can be benificial for buns to be neutered but then the vet said otherwise? Will it do Liquorice any good?

There are plenty of decent vets in Durham! Yours doesnt sound too good im afraid. Are your buns vaccinated too?

Neutering can help agression, and if you ever wanted to get him a friend that would help. It sometimes helps with litter training too, and prevents spraying. :D

Yeah he's got all his jabs, vet seems really good though, given us great advice so far.

Meant to say Liquorice is 16wks old.

He always circles my feet and gets rather 'frisky' shall we say. He hasnt started spraying and is quite well litter trained.

I'd say yes as I don't think it's fair to keep animals in a constant state of sexual arousal although obviously it depends on the individual animal. Maybe the next few months with your bunny will sway you one way or another, if he starts humping everything in site and sprays etc you might feel it's essential. Of course the other reason is to get him a friend, maybe now or in the future if it's not possible right now

well my domino is the same age, and i just got him done and i havent notice any differences because he was never ever agressive or frisky etc...but i know now he wont when hes older! His dad didnt get that way until he was 9 months old, and he is still unneautured, but now i know domino wont be that way its a nice feeling knowing im not gonna get sprayed in the morning!!

I would say neuter him...to prevent the agression rather than stop it otherwise he will become naughty later on!

I think neutering important from a sexual frustration point of view. It can't be fun for them.

I'm currently looking after an un-neutered male, whose owner swears he doesn't need it. I'm going to have a chat with her when she comes back because he keeps humping his spayed female partner and sprays urine everywhere.

If he lives indoors I would get him neutered or he could get a pain to litter train and not to mention: male bunnies stink.
I have an un-neutered male living outdoors, he's partly litter trained but hates his litter box, also when I have him in the pen next to my spayed female he is likely to spray her :roll:

Neutering can also reduce the risk of cancer in buns;)

Then there's behaviour issues/sexual frustration/sparying/tidiness:D

Squidgy didn't start weeing on me until we moved to this house. Yuck! It got to the point where I couldn't spend time with him (Funnily enough, I don't like smelling of wee!) so we had him neutered. He's a much more chilled out bun since.

Back