• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay Racks

Just found out my sister doesn't have a hay rack for her mini lop Harvey! She lives over an hour away from me so don't see her that often. When i ask after harvey i always check up on how he is, and when i asked if he had enough hay she always said yes! However my mum has been popping round to feed Harvey while they are away, and because i've been training her up ready to have my two while i'm away she rung me to say Harvey doesn't have any hay to eat! :evil:
I'm going round there in two weeks and i'm going to buy harvey a hay rack and some toys!! My two are in indoor cages, what racks do you get to attached on to an outdoor hutch? (sorry if being thick just don't want to get there and have the wrong sort)
He does have access to a run all day long so my sister's not all bad :oops: just not as obbessed as me!

I've never put hay in a rack as it's very good for bunnies to have a fresh pile of hay in their litter tray twice a day, so they have something to do - they love digging out the best bits and it's better than any toy, so I would give her bunny a litter tray of hay rather than a rack. And of course if her rabbit's out eating grass all day that's as good as hay - same thing :)

He doesn't have a litter tray either! I'm trying to convince her of that as well. So should i not worry about getting him any hay then? (still going to treat him to some toys as he hasn't got any!)

Yes, rabbits need a constant supply of hay

My hay rack is from P@H, he has hay as his bedding, a litter pan in his bedroom with litter in and hay within reach and I put supa forage in the rack which he pulls off when he's eaten it all, the supa forage is in short strands at the mo so just put it in a bowl or on the hutch floor, its also mixed with regular hay in his outdoor hay box.

It has hooks that fit onto the wire of the hutch but its not necessary, I think my bf bought it for its novelty value, its fine to just put a pile of it on the hutch floor.

I have a basket that I put hay in, my lot like chewing it too. They don't like proper hay racks!

My two don't really have a litter tray either, they prefer to go in the corners of the playhouse (they have one each), I cut up an under-bed storage box and they have those in their corners. I like them because they are flush with the floor and easy to clean out.

This is what Charlie has for all of his hay outside

P3080269.jpg

Has she got kids, you could sit with them and make some toys with lollypop sticks, sisal rope, bits of wood, toilet roll tubes etc, if not do it anyway :lol:?

I have the metal hay racks hanging in all of my runs.....but to tell you the truth, they are actually a TOTAL waste of time as my buns just shake them and pull them down and pull the hay out onto the ground anyways!:roll: :lol: I only persist in using them as it seems to entertain them to do it!!!:D :lol:

Hiyaa

It should be a mental one with hooks on them that can hook on to the mesh
You can get them at most local pet shops

mine ignored a rack that attched to the front of the hutch. They love their little basket from The Hay Experts though. I fill it everyday with green oat hay and they stick their faces in it and push it about!

They also have meadow hay in their litter trays which they nibble a little.

Mine refused to use a hay rack, so like elve, the hay goes in litter tray or on floor, for them to rummage through, new lot each day!! at least they can bed down in it!!

I have the metal hay racks hanging in all of my runs.....but to tell you the truth, they are actually a TOTAL waste of time as my buns just shake them and pull them down and pull the hay out onto the ground anyways!:roll: :lol: I only persist in using them as it seems to entertain them to do it!!!:D :lol:

I know a certain little boy who does that :rolleyes:

my buns used to seek and destroy hay racks that attached to the bars. they have got a little wooden one but they tend to pull all the hay out and tip the rack over :roll: so they now have a wall hanging basket screwed to the wall, they havent managed to di any damage to it yet :D and they love to sit in it and munhc on hay...duchess has even been known to sleep in it! :?

im a cheapskate & mine have hanging baskets for hay. they can get it out easily and they hold a lot. i do also put it in other containers aswell though to keep them busy.(cardboard boxes, plantpots, littertray, sisal bags, baskets etc)

Back