• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

taking bunny on holiday???

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
My little wild bunny is 4 months old. I took her on holiday to Wales when she was only 6 weeks old along with her brother. Unfortunately a couple of days after we returned I lost her brother to bloat. I'm not sure if the journey (3hrs) contributed to his death or not but I had previously lost two other bunnies to bloat before this and they were all smaller than Spudsey.

Spudsey is still living in the house as an indoor bunny. I hope to bond her with another bunny and move her outside but do not want to move her outside on her own. I have had no break from work for months and am keen to get away! Thing is I don't know what to do with Spudsey. I feel like I could leave her for a weekend and get someone to feed her etc but no longer as I let her out once or twice a day for a good old run round and it wouldn't be fair to her.

Would it be ok to take her for another welsh holiday???? She will probably be 5 months old by this time. She has been hand reared by myself from 4 days and although she will jump on new people to investigate she is still a nervy bunny.

Suzanne

Can you board her, I'm going to board Charlie so that I know he'll be well looked after rather, ( I can't take him to the maldives or I would!) I'll still worry like mad because I've never been away from him before for more than a night but at least he'll be in capable hands.

I bring my rabbits on holiday.
Youngest one I brought was between 3-4 months and she did fine.
The same rabbit also traveled almost all accross the country (From south in Norway to the middle, and it's a long-stretched country:lol: ) The woman who brought her had two other rabbits in the car and made sure to make stops underway to make sure the bunnies had water. Don't use a bottle or fill up a whole bowl or it'll only get messy. When I take my bunnies to the regular campsite (about 2 hours away) I rarely give them water at all, only greens that contain water. Otherwise they would get water all over the cage which wouldn't be very nice for them:roll:

Can you board her, I'm going to board Charlie so that I know he'll be well looked after rather, ( I can't take him to the maldives or I would!) I'll still worry like mad because I've never been away from him before for more than a night but at least he'll be in capable hands.

I would if she had a pal, but not on her own as I think she would just sit in a corner feeling really scared.

I would if she had a pal, but not on her own as I think she would just sit in a corner feeling really scared.

Get her a bunnyfriend before you go -good excuse for one! Or just take her with you if she's okay in the car, does she get stressed in the car or just chill out and flop down like mine does?

Take her with you. If she was OK with the journey before, then she should be OK this time.

I take Muppet with me on weekends away every six weeks or so, he's adapted really well to it. Poor soul, he is obviously travel-sick but he recovers very quickly. (Eg, I stopped for a quick rest on the way back and within 10 mins - bearing in mind he's still in the carrier - he was happily munching on some hay.)

The journey should only take 3.5 hours each way but this weekend both ways were 5 hours. Not much fun for either of us :( I wouldnt do it except I know he's happier with me and I know he has fun when we get there.

I do need to try some boarding tho so I know he's got somewhere he's familiar with if I only want to be away for two days/one night or for longer.

Get her a bunnyfriend before you go -good excuse for one! Or just take her with you if she's okay in the car, does she get stressed in the car or just chill out and flop down like mine does?

I just don't think I'm going to be able to get a pal in time! Accomodation is nowhere near sorted, haven't really done any bunny searching because of this.

She normally ends up laying down in her little 'nest' box (been sleeping in it since she was a baby!) but is wide eyed when I get her back out. after a while shes ok though.

I just don't think I'm going to be able to get a pal in time! Accomodation is nowhere near sorted, haven't really done any bunny searching because of this.

She normally ends up laying down in her little 'nest' box (been sleeping in it since she was a baby!) but is wide eyed when I get her back out. after a while shes ok though.

If you think she's fine to travel then take her with you and jut stop frequently to give her attention and treats, I talk to Charlie laods in the car, people must think I'm mad! He's also quite wide eyed when he comes out but thats probably because its a strange place. Lots of attention and treats soon sorts him out. I took him in the car from being quite young to my parents to play in their big garden so that he wouldn't associate car journeys with bad things (vets), I'm mad aren't I!? :lol:

Take her with you. If she was OK with the journey before, then she should be OK this time.

I take Muppet with me on weekends away every six weeks or so, he's adapted really well to it. Poor soul, he is obviously travel-sick but he recovers very quickly. (Eg, I stopped for a quick rest on the way back and within 10 mins - bearing in mind he's still in the carrier - he was happily munching on some hay.)

The journey should only take 3.5 hours each way but this weekend both ways were 5 hours. Not much fun for either of us :( I wouldnt do it except I know he's happier with me and I know he has fun when we get there.

I do need to try some boarding tho so I know he's got somewhere he's familiar with if I only want to be away for two days/one night or for longer.

thanks for that and zakurarabbit. I think she'd be happier with me once we are there, she has a utility room and conservatory to explore! Last time I took her with her brother Radish she wasn't litter trained and although I tried restricting her movements she went everywhere droppings along the way! Shes very good now and hops back into her cage to do her stuff which is fantastic for a little wild bun!

Plus the parents-in-law were in love with her, they thought she was great!

What do you put your bunnies in? Last time I put her in a photocopy box (!) because it wasn't too small or big and she couldn't see out. someone told me its best for them not to be able to see?

And should I stop and feed her some yummy pellets or something?

I suppose all this depends on whether I can get her huge cage in the car along with the luggage...:roll:

thanks for that and zakurarabbit. I think she'd be happier with me once we are there, she has a utility room and conservatory to explore! Last time I took her with her brother Radish she wasn't litter trained and although I tried restricting her movements she went everywhere droppings along the way! Shes very good now and hops back into her cage to do her stuff which is fantastic for a little wild bun!

Plus the parents-in-law were in love with her, they thought she was great!

What do you put your bunnies in? Last time I put her in a photocopy box (!) because it wasn't too small or big and she couldn't see out. someone told me its best for them not to be able to see?

And should I stop and feed her some yummy pellets or something?

I suppose all this depends on whether I can get her huge cage in the car along with the luggage...:roll:

I have a cat carrier, the receptionists at the vets comment on how they always think I have a cat because its a big carrier but he flops in it and stretches out so needs lots of room. I personally don't cover and have him strapped into the front seat so he can see me- not sure if this is the right way to do it but he's happy. I also put a reflective windscreen cover on top of the carrier to keep him cool and make sure the cold air is blowing, no radio and no open windows to keep noise levels down.

I have a cat carrier, the receptionists at the vets comment on how they always think I have a cat because its a big carrier but he flops in it and stretches out so needs lots of room. I personally don't cover and have him strapped into the front seat so he can see me- not sure if this is the right way to do it but he's happy. I also put a reflective windscreen cover on top of the carrier to keep him cool and make sure the cold air is blowing, no radio and no open windows to keep noise levels down.

thanks for all your help sarah! I have a cat carrier which I can use for her infact I have 2 one is quite big so hopefully I'll get her little box in it as well.

thanks everyone now all I need to do is plan when I'm going to have my hols! yippee lets hope the sun is still shining!

I have cat carriers too, the smallest type.:) I have seen carriers for rabbits too in certain pet stores, but these fit best for dwarf rabbits, not sure how big a wild rabbit is as I've never seen one.

I have cat carriers too, the smallest type.:) I have seen carriers for rabbits too in certain pet stores, but these fit best for dwarf rabbits, not sure how big a wild rabbit is as I've never seen one.

tiny at the moment! I enquired about spaying her at the vets but shes just too small might need to wait a couple of months.

Muppet has an ordinary cat carrier, large enough for him to stretch out in it. (He's only 1.5kg, not a big bun.) It's always out in the house so he's used to it, just another 'base' at home. In the car, he seems to like to lie pretty flat.

I bought a couple of webbing straps so I can have the carrier on the passenger seat next to me, and no danger of him/it being thrown about if I have to brake suddenly. If I get time tonight, I'll post a photo. If I put the carrier on the back seat, then I hook the rear seat belts around it.

I do cover the carrier tho - to protect him from strong sun, draughts from the open window, calmer for him etc - but I leave the door (facing me) uncovered so we can see each other. I put some hay in the carrier so he can have a nibble if he's feeling up to it. I generally have an apple or grapes (for me) and I'll give him a piece of that. I do always take water in a small container, for any stops I might make, but he's never shown any interest in it.

Oh and I dont bother taking his cage with him, just his litter tray. He has the cat carrier as a base and lives in the conservatory quite happily (or the dining room if the conservatory's too hot!). Mind you, if he were staying somewhere without me, I would take the cage - I think he'd feel 'safer' with his own proper home then.

I do have a portable run that I take with me tho - handy if he needs to be kept in a smaller space for an hour or so, or for taking him out into the garden for a munch on the lawn :D

I have Charlie's out in the house too and put treats in it so he's used to going in it, I've never had to chase him into it, just wait and close the door.

Back