• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is It Worth Vaccinating?

Is it Worth Vaccinating Against Mixi?

• Yes

Votes: 49 87.5%
  • No

Votes: 7 12.5%

• Total voters

sparklefairy

Wise Old Thumper
My bunnies are due to have their mixi vacines next week. However I have read that a lot of poor bunnies who have been vaccinated have caught this awful disease and some have died :cry: :cry: ( I'm so sorry to all who have lost precious babies )
The vacine seems a bit useless :? I wondered what you all thought about this and would you say it is still worth getting the vacine done

To be honest I'm still doing mine out of habit rather than out of belief it will help.

I don't think I could go through what I did with Magic & Poppy again.

Just my opinion ;)

It still gives the best chance of survival as the rabbits are unlikely to get full blown Myxi.

I have always said that if one of mine went down with the full version they would be PTS without any hesitation (I hope I could follow through on this if the time ever came) but at least with the vaccine they have a fighting chance.

I would say it is worth it! better to be safer than not. Because say if your rabbt did catch the horrid disease then it would be guilt and what ifs?

Sorry just my opinion x

My view is that if your bunnies are healthy, it is probably worth it. My 2 are overdue for their myx vaccinations, but I don't feel they are healthy enough to cope with it currently. As soon as I think they are, I will take them, though.

I think it is still worth getting them done.
Two of mine are getting theirs done at 5.00pm today.

Hiya, It is DEFINATELY worth vaccinating your bunnies against Myxomatosis and VHD.
If we had not had the Sanctuary bunnies vaccinated, we would have probably had 32 fatalities, as it is, we just have 8 slightly off colour bunnies with sores!.
Please, please, please keep vaccinating your rabbits, as it is the best prevention against very nasty diseases.
In combination with regular de fleaing of your rabbit(s) and their environment, hanging up net curtains to stop mosquitos getting through, and using anti mosquito plugs, you will have a very good chance of your rabbit(s) never contracting Myxomatosis.
Of course there are always exceptions to the rules, as we have found out at the Sanctuary, but with lots of TLC the bunnies will recover and have many more happy years ahead of them.

Doesn't the fact that they have had the vaccine mean they have more chance of recovery than when they haven't whereas they have very limited chance of survival.

I am still having mine all vaccinated, as I consider ANYTHING that even slightly increases their chances of not contracting it, or of them surviving it if they DO contract it to be more than worth it. Even though I lost one of my gorgeous and much-loved Giants to full blown Myxi a couple of years ago who was fully vaccinated, I STILL continue to have mine done. I firmly believe that if they hadn't been vaccinated, I probably would have lost them all.:shock: :cry:

Thank you so much for your replies. I realise it is a sensitive issue with some people.
I will still be getting my bunnies vaccinated. It's just very disheartening to know that sometimes you can do everything humanly possible to protect them and there is still a chance they could die from this horrible disease :cry:
Mine are house bunnies who have net curtains in their room. They do go outside where they are more open to bugs and nasty bitey things. I know there is always a risk.

I hadn't thought of plug in mosquito deterrents. I've just had a quick search online, and they look to be geared (unsurprisingly) to holidays - eg. short trips, and with 2 prong plugs. Are there any that anyone would recommend?

Yesterday in the papers it is being suggested that if the warm / wet weather continues there is likely to be a large popluation of mosquitos about than usual. This is definately bad news when it comes to the spread of myxie in rabbits. I would definately support the idea of vaccinating rabbits.

Sorry, another question! If you have no cats, dogs and your rabbits have no access to other rabbits (eg wild ones), is it necessary to do routine flea protection??

Another thing I bought when I got my bunnies (I had an anti-mozzie arsenal :shock: ) was mosquito coils - you burn them overnight somewhere non-flamable, and the light smoke repels mozzies and contains some kind of chemical - all the camping gear places sell them, but mine were from Boots - quite expensive though but you could just burn them on nights that were most likely to have mozzies, warm with no wind.
http://www.boots.com/guidedsearch/n...43920&contentId=&articleId=&N=0&Ntk=all&Nty=1

I also tried burning some of the many citronella candles available for barbequeues, but they kept blowing out as it's windy where I live - would be good in a town or lowland though.

Sorry, another question! If you have no cats, dogs and your rabbits have no access to other rabbits (eg wild ones), is it necessary to do routine flea protection??

My hutches are visited by mangy yowling moggies most nights, and I know hedgehogs are also infested with fleas, so if your rabbits are outside on grass then they could pick up fleas, but I doubt it very much if they are indoor bunnies.

I hadn't thought of plug in mosquito deterrents. I've just had a quick search online, and they look to be geared (unsurprisingly) to holidays - eg. short trips, and with 2 prong plugs. Are there any that anyone would recommend?

Argos do a converter plug for continental to UK pin - £6 :)

My hutches are visited by mangy yowling moggies most nights, and I know hedgehogs are also infested with fleas, so if your rabbits are outside on grass then they could pick up fleas, but I doubt it very much if they are indoor bunnies.

Thanks. :) Yes, they are indoors, and when they are outdoors they are in a run that is enclosed all the time (ie when they aren't in it too), so nothing can get in.

rabbit fleas are different to the cat and dog fleas... I guess eggs may be able to survive in hay etc., so could still be passed on - fleas are pretty tough!

I'd say now is the time to vaccinate more than ever... higher level of protection in the first few months after vacc. Mine are booked in on friday, even though none are due, paranoid about the mozzies here!

Last edited:
Back