• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor vs Outdoor

BirdieBun

Wise Old Thumper
This has probably been discussed before BUT I just wanted to see what people's views are.

I absolutely adored having house bunnies. Firstly I had Little Man he was a house bun but then I decided to get him a girlfriend so got Orchid. They then went outside together. Little Man was not happy at first but gradually adjusted and eventually loved being outside.

Bambi was also a house bun for 1.5 years. During April we had some sunny days and the 3 outdoor buns were binkying racing roudn the garden and Bambi was just stuck indoors. I eventually decided to find her a partner she wasnt petrified of and move them outside together. It took Bambi ageeeees to adjust to being outdoors but now she is outdoors I can see she is a million times more happy than when she was a house bun.

So basically in my experience outdoor bunnies are much more content then indoor bunnies (I am talking full time here not like indoor buns that run outdoors each day and vice versa).

What are your views on this? :D

I've had outdoor buns all my life. Evo is my first indoor bun. It's hard to say whether he's happier, he's just so different to any outdoor bun I've had before. He's the most chilled, friendly bunny ever.

Some of my Buns HATE the outdoors and will not eat/drink/poo or move. They just sit huddled together looking miserable :cry:

Others absolutely adore bombing around the garden. So in my experience its up to the individual Bunny as to what they prefer :D

Janex

I've only had Pippa indoors for a shorttime and she absolutely hated it. I do wonder if you have them indoors from being a baby they don't know any different but if you bring one inside who is used to outdoors whether the noises freak them out. Anyway I moved her out with MJ and she's much much happier.

Outdoor bunnies are for me anyhow as the OH is allergic to hay :rolleyes:

Yeh Bambi was indoor from a baby and she didnt knwo any different at at 1st she just froze outside but shes sooooooooo happy now and a proper bunny that eats bunny food and grass and gets dirty :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree with Jane.

Mine are both outdoor buns and seem very happy, although I plan to bring them inside when they're old rabbits in the winter.

They love the outdoor life, digging and running around. Having said that, when they do come inside on the odd occasion, they seem to quite like chilling in the conservatory.

I think being outside allows them to exibit natural behaviours, which are really important. However, I think if I had a particularly sickly rabbit, I'd keep them inside because it is easier to monitor their health and nurse them.

Squidgy isn't keen on being outside, he jsut sits and looks unhappy. WHen he first came to me though I brought him inside for a cuddle and he jumped straight up on the sofa with me! He told me what he preferred.

Bobby was an indoor bun when I first got him. He and Patch used to spend evenings inside and days ouside in the run. He hated it inside, so they became fulltime outside bunnies.
Salt and Pepper have never been inside, but I know they're happy outside - they love their enclosure and rearrange it to their liking! And I would never dream of bringing Ruby in. She is the nearest to a wild bunny I have - so active.

It does depend on the bunny, but I would say the majority prefer outside.

Just to throw a new spin on this....BB....are you sure they are not just happier as they were both single bunnies before they went outside and now they have partners it has actually improved their quality of life rather than just living outside?

Incidentally I have a bunny who hates outside....she just lays down and mopes when I put her out but because Im working such long hours at the minurte and cant supervise her indoors she and her bunfriend are having to go out in a run.

Mine have all been much happier outside than in (although obviously the group of girls have always lived in the shed). Tia was like a timid little mouse indoors - just sat and stared into space when she came out of her crate. Once outside she ran ran ran, up and down the patio endlessly, she loved the fresh air and openness of it all - and she went crazy on the grass!

The main reason I'd never have a house bunny again though is purely selfish - they are sooooo destructive and noisy! :lol: Tia trashed the living room carpet, Benny trashed everything, and Maa didn't trash anything at all, just sat looking utterly miserable and terrified for 3 months - she's like a wild horse now she's outdoors - like a rocket when I open the hutch in the morning, firing poos off as she goes :lol:

ooh that's a hard one :? I think other bunns I have had have been happier outside, but then Audrey is the only bunn I have had indoors for any length of time. I think she is pretty happy inside- she seems really relaxed, and it means she gets much more free running time than she would outdoors, as she'd be confined to a hutch and run unless I was there to supervise.

Just to throw a new spin on this....BB....are you sure they are not just happier as they were both single bunnies before they went outside and now they have partners it has actually improved their quality of life rather than just living outside?

Incidentally I have a bunny who hates outside....she just lays down and mopes when I put her out but because Im working such long hours at the minurte and cant supervise her indoors she and her bunfriend are having to go out in a run.

Yup I am sure as Bambi and Bobby lived together indoors for a month before the went outside and the way they are now to then is unreal.

Friskyclover I think you have hit the nail on the head there with what you said. Being outdoors allows bunnies to explore their natural ways and they can do what they like outside, I am really starting to wonder now whether having house buns is tampering with nature a bit too much and it is in fact actually cruel :shock:

I understand putting buns outdoors at 1st bunnies are terrified but with perseverance they overcome this and eventually are totally elated with their new outdoor life :D

All very interesting. :) My bunnies have recently come indoors (in order to monitor their health better), since being outdoor bunnies for their whole lives. I've always thought of them as being strictly outdoor types, although they do hate the rain.

But they have adapted really well to being indoors, and love running up and down the stairs. They also hate any sort of boundary so, despite their enormous hutch/run in the garden, it still isn't big enough for them. Although they get narked at the idea of some rooms being off limits (just the idea of a closed door!), they seem to be enjoying the freedom of being indoor buns.

Oh and the other thing is that my 2 seem to quite like being on grass, but don't actually enjoy grazing on it (compared to my guinea pigs), so they don't even seem to miss that! :roll:

Charlie started off as a bit of both and was supposed to spend all of his time indoors when we were in but slept in his hutch on the roof terrace when the nights were mild.

He's a funny one, when he's downstairs in the study or bedroom he binkies around for a bit then flops down and sleeps next to me for hours. After he ruined the £3k couch by chewing a hole in it he was 'banned' from the house unless he was extensively supervised and behaving himself. I leave the patio doors open and he always chooses to be outside and seems really happy out there so long as the doors to the house are open and he's getting attention.

Yesterday he got in and made a run for downstairs where he chilled out under the bed had a nose around then shot back upstairs and outside where he decided it was time to play chase. I think a big open garden would scare him as he's not used to one, he has nothing to be scared of on the roof terrace as no other animals except birds- which he chases away- can get to him.

Oh and the other thing is that my 2 seem to quite like being on grass, but don't actually enjoy grazing on it (compared to my guinea pigs), so they don't even seem to miss that! :roll:

Audrey does that- she eats it if I pick it, but not if she has to do it herself :rolleyes: :lol:

I think it depends on the bun:? .
All mine are outside buns, but the previous buns I have owned used to live in the utility, but could come in the house or go out in the garden whenever we were home.
All my rabbits love being free range in the garden and have a great time digging, eating, climbing, wrecking!!:lol:

Recently though Ra bombs straight up the garden and into the house as soon as the door is open - he loves the house - and I've caught BB loads of times chilling out in the conservatory, so I guess they like a bit of both!!

IMHO I think buns should live outside, because that is closer to their normal environment, but if people don't have a garden and want to keep buns, so long as though they are loved and kept stimulated I think that's fine too!:D

Well, Egg came to live indoors last year after losing her sister to heat exhaustion (fortunately or unfortunately we have a south facing garden, without adequate shade for the heat wave last year :cry: ), and Tuesday who was a rescue bun (living outdoors) came to join her.

Now I can't really comment on Tuesday as we haven't kept him outdoors, but Egg seems perfectly happy as an indoor bunny (she had previously been an outdoor bun - although she would spend some time indoors for play time) - But i think stimulation in any environment (indoor and outdoor) is the key. Egg and Tuesday get 'fenced off' in the dining room for the time that they are unsupervised (i can't risk losing more cables!) but have a tunnel, cardboard box and other play/chew things, but when we are home, then are allowed into the lounge, and if the lounge door gets opened, the kitchen and hallway too. They also get allowed outside under supervision although that's ususally only if the weather is nice! When outside they usually run around binkying (although they do that in the lounge too), but if scared, they'll run back indoors - if it's too hot they go back indoors too

I don't think it's cruel. But I guess it's all very bunny dependent too (i.e. if there is something that scares your bun in either the garden or indoors).

My Smirnoff has been part of a group for sometime. While they others bombed about outside, he hunched up in the corner thumping & nipping anyone who got close. A year later, & 2 weeks ago he did his first outdoor binky:D He doesn't appear to cope well with change, but seems happier now it's part of his routine:D

All the others love it. To Alex it's just somewhere else to sleep:lol:

As for outdoor v indoor. Depends on the weather:lol: I prefer indoor buns in winter (no rain/snow for me!) & love sitting out i the garden in summer with them:oops: :lol:

ive never really had a bunny that lives permanently outdoors so i couldnt say whether one is more happy than the other

Gus was a real indoor bunny for the first 2 years (as i lived in a flat). when he went to hoppy holidays for the first time, i boarded him indoors but she put him in the garden during the day and he loved it

so when we moved into our old house, we made sure he got outside during the evenings and he was always more active, and binkied like mad up and down the garden, although he always seemed very content indoors

the others are all the same now - they live indoors as its easier for me security wise, and weather wise (and also gus used to get sticky bum so i wouldnt want to risk flystrike) but they all get outdoor time when its nice and all enjoy it.

id say mine are all very content - and they do sulk if its been raining and they cant get outside, so i think indoors with outdoor access works well

hmmm unsure as i have not had outdoor buns since i was really little so dont really remember i like to think my bunnies are happy indoors though. i do put them out in the run sometimes and teegs will run around for a bit and nibble on hay and seems quite happy outside, but duchess doesnt seem to keen (which suprises me as she used to live outdoors) she will come out for a couple of mins and just wander about then she gets back in the carrier and wont come out again and when i put them back in their room she binkies about and happy flops everywhere. suppose you cant please everyone though :roll:

My two are indoor bunnies and seem very happy. They binky all the time and flop, they have never been outside (i live in a flat). However when we move they are getting their own bedroom, and i will give them access to the garden. I personally prefer them inside as you have a closer relationship with them. (this is compared to my sister's rabbit who lives outside and runs away from everyone). Maybe its the nature of my two but i don't think i would ever keep my buns outside all the time.

Back