• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What will Insurance pay ?- Concerning Teeth

toria

Warren Scout
Hi,
I'm currently not in a good mood as I have been on the phone to PetPlan whom insure both of my Rabbits. I phoned them last night and tonight and have lost £9 waiting in the que, just to constantly be told "We can not say to guarantee We will pay for anything on the phone" That is all she kept saying to me. I was using a mobile too as I have very recently moved and have spent much of my time (and money) on the phone in a que just recently for various utilitie bills etc..
ANyway, My rabbit Toby is booked into have his back teeth filed down on Friday. The Vet won't proceed without a X-ray and the total cost of all this is approx £250. I can't afford this, but will pay it as it needs to be done and my rabbits are very important to me. My old vets charged me about £45 for the same operation about 2 months ago and the Vets where I now live are charging an awful lot more, as you can see.
All I wanted to know was is it likely they will help pay towards the dental (as it is not Trimming), will they pay for the X-Ray, and if I add on the last Dental, as it is continuing treatment, will that be considered too?
My rabbits have been insured since 8 weeks and are now 2yrs old and Toby has had his teeth done once already.

I do apologise, I have moved away and I only know the people I live with and work with and my rabbits, and some days are bad and this is one of them. I try to do my best concerning my rabbits. I just want to know if other people have had help from Petplan concerning this treatment?

Thanks,

Victoria...

Petplan told me, aslong as its recommended treatment that the vet has said needs to be done, and not cosmetic then its covered.
hope that helps

Thank you for replying.
Yes, it is very neccessary work and not at all cosmetic, and I must remember to stress this on the claims form if at all possible.
Anyone else have any experience of Insurance and Dentals?

It really helps,
Victoria...:wave:

Ooooh, has anyone claimed on Petplan for a dental then? I always assumed things like that weren't covered. I could be in for a windfall if they do pay out for dentals! :shock:

Having said that, if you claim once, does that mean you can't claim for the same thing again?

PS.....You can use http://www.saynoto0870.com to find a cheaper number to ring Pet Plan next time. :)

It would be interesting to know, wouldn't it.
Rabbit Dentals seem to be quite common these days, and therefore I am quite surprised at the number of replys I have had. I thought other people would have gone through this already.
This is my second rabbit to have back teeth dentals so it is a common problem. I didn't have insurance then though.

If the rabbit had it done once before prior to your insurance starting I doubt they will pay.

If the rabbit had it done once before prior to your insurance starting I doubt they will pay.

Dont think the bun had a dental before being insured hun, she said they have been insured since 8 weeks of age ;)

I thought insurance didnt cover things like dentals, thats the reason I have a savings account for vet bills instead :D Might be wrong though, I never actually looked into it just went on what was said on here about rabbit insurance :D

Well, I found this is their online documentation.....

Throughout the policy year you must take all reasonable
steps to maintain your pet’s health and to prevent injury,
illness and loss. You must arrange and pay for your pet to
have a yearly dental examination and any treatment
normally recommended by a vet to prevent illness or
injury.

What we will not pay -The cost of dental treatment unless your pet has had its teeth checked by a vet no longer than 12 months before the onset
date of the claim. If any treatment was recommended as a
result of the check this must have been carried out.

That's interesting to know. I know they cover dental work with my policy as I made them double check, but it does say they wont cover for anything that could have been prevented. i.e. vhd/myxi if bun not vaccinated. Seems a similar policy with the teeth.

Hello and Thanks for replying all, although I seem to have mudled a few people!!
I had a beautiful Rabbit called Fuzzy who had to have back teeth Dentals. He wasn't insured as his first dental was in the first week I had him and I just carried on paying the bills myself. (Roughly £40 each time). He died in 2003 and is a huge loss to me, it took me along time to be ready for any rabbits. I now have 2 rabbits who have been insured from 8 weeks old and Toby had to have a back teeth Dental in June and now booked in on Friday for his next (now costing me £250 as I have moved and changed Vets, and they won't proceed without an xray - The price was a huge shock to me, I can tell you).
I know that Petplan (who insure my 2) won't pay for the cost of trimming rabbits teeth but this is hardly trimming and yes, a vet has seen and treated Toby for back teeth within the last 12 months (June this year).
So, am I right in saying there is a good chance they may pay something or at least I will try my best to claim as it is in no way cosmetic?
The fact I now have a rabbit with the same problem was a massive upset to me, I burst out crying at the Vets when I found out.
All this Insurance stuff is very confusing to me.:?

Yes, sure I will and fingers crossed, they'll be able to help pay.
Toby is going in tomorrow for his dental so Willow will be mopeing all day without him and I will not be very good either.
So, it may take some time but I will claim and I will let you all know how I get on. Mean while if anyone else reads this and has had the same experience, let me know.
Thanks, Victoria...

Hi,

I have my bunnies insured with Petplan, and he was in the vets recently for GI stasis, and whilst there the vet said he would 'do' his teeth as well.

On the back of the letter they sent me with the settlement cheque it said

'your pet insurance does not cover the cost of trimming teeth. We have included the cost in your claim settlemtn because the treatment is connected to the diagnosis. Although we have paid this cost on this claim we will not be able to help you for any future claims for trimming your rabbits teeth'

Having said that they took the excess off for the GI stasis and once again for the teeth, so they were crafty and although they said they were connected they treated the total claim as two separate claims, and therefore I paid 2 excess payments of £45. Still better than paying the whole amount.

Hope this helps a bit.

Carole

Benny was insured with Petplan and had loads of problems with his jaw abscess and teeth. We claimed back over £2000 over 3 years which we would have struggled to pay on our own. Most of the treatment he had for his abscess also involved some teeth burring or removal and most times they paid us back in full (minus the excess each year). However for one abscess claim they also told me the same as Carole:

'your pet insurance does not cover the cost of trimming teeth. We have included the cost in your claim settlemtn because the treatment is connected to the diagnosis. Although we have paid this cost on this claim we will not be able to help you for any future claims for trimming your rabbits teeth'

So I'm not sure why he was covered before and not that time. Sorry I can't advise you further as it has me totally confused too. I have my new rabbit Daisy insured with Petprotect who I thought covered rabbits for dental treatment as it states on their FAQ:

'We also pay the cost of dental treatment and don't require your pet to have dental check ups every year.'
https://www.petprotect.co.uk/faqs.shtml

But when you sign up and receive the booklet for small animals it states:

'we will not pay for preventative and routine treatments ..... [including] teeth trimming' and 'rabbits must have an annual dental check up'

Needless to say I am again totally confused!

Yes, it is very confusing.
Toby had his dental yesterday and it cost me just over £211.00. He is fine and quite happy. Willow chased him abit when he first got home, probably becasue he smelt different. (I wanted her to go with him) but they settled down and he's fine.
I made out a claim form and wrote a letter with it to make state that it is not 'teeth trimming', that it is not cosmetic, and that he has been checked within 12 months prior to this. The letter may go no further than the Vets but at least they know I want that information stateing to make it clear.
Toby's front teeth have been growing very long and out of line too and he had his front tooth 'trimmed' last Saturday. When I say tooth, that's becasue he had one top incisor removed in June as well as the spurs burred, so only has one top incisor and the 2 small peg teeth (they are wierd little things). The Vet wants to know what happened with his bottom incisors as they are non-existant. I've seen them and yes, they look like baby's teeth coming through, they are just inside the gums. The Vet seems to think he's broken them off on something. Don't you think I would've noticed. I've not seen anything and Toby hasn't changed his behaviour in any way as if he had hurt himself, I don't know where they gone. I'm worried that the Vet thinks I've been nasty to Toby, I'm being paranoid. Anyway, the Vet wants to let them grow and then take them out, so poor Toby will be left with one, unless they take that out too. Well, if they cope without them, then it's probably best. I've read and heard bunnys can pick up their food with their lips.
Anyway, back to the point, these insurance companies don't make it very clear at all, and don't seem to specify Molor spur dentals, and I had no help whatsoever from them on the phone so I can only wait to hear from them now.

Back