• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bordatella bug/pasturella - advice please

minty

Young Bun
We have only had Minty 3 days. He is housed separately to our five lady guinea pigs.

I have been told on another forum that rabbits can harbour diseases which are fatal to guinea pigs, the bordatella bug and pasturella (sp?) I am now really worried about Minty accidentally passing anything on.

Is there any way a vet can check whether Minty is carrying anything? He has been in the run (but not with them), I will be getting him another run of his own really soon, and his hutch is next to theirs, so although they don't have direct contact obviously they live within close proximity to each other.

I'm so worried. I wasn't aware of this problem at all. I also know a lot of people that keep rabbits and guinea pigs (some together, I know this is not generally advised) and some are separate, but as far as I know they are ok healthwise.

How common are these diseases? Any help please . ..

I have not heard of rabbits passing on anything bad to gp's as i have them both aswell for a number of years and with me having a huge run i put my female rabbits with female gp's and male rabbits with male gp's.

The only thing to be worried about if put together in a small enclosure is injury to the gp from the rabbits powerful back legs that could easily break gp's bones.

The bacteria, Pasteurella multocida, can be found in almost all rabbits. My vet believes that most rabbits contract pasteurella from their mother while going through the birth canal. Contrary to what I had thought, my vet says that otherwise, pasteurella is not contagious. If the bacteria gets the upper hand when rabbits are stressed by injury, poor care, or giving birth, they can develop symptoms.

There are a few tests for pasteurella. One is using a swab from the rabbit's nose. Another is called ELISA which is a blood test. Both will show if the rabbit has ever been exposed to pasteurella. It will not show if the bacteria is currently alive and actively causing symptoms (it may in the nose swab test, I am not sure).

Syptoms include:-

1. Snuffles and Pneumonia:
If the bacteria takes over the respiratory tract, sneezing, nasal discharge, yellow paws (from wiping the nose), and perhaps abscesses on the lungs result. In very rare cases, rabbits get pneumonia and die quickly.

2. Conjunctivitis:
If in the eyes, lots of eye discharge caking on their face results (conjunctivitis). Jimmy had conjunctivitis but the vet believes that it was caused by a bacterium other than pasteurella.

3. Torticollis:
If in the ears, balance problems result. Torticollis or wry neck is where the rabbit keeps its head crooked since its balance is off. The rabbit may also walk in circles. This may be due to the torticollis (ear pasteurella) or partial paralysis.

4. Abscesses:
If pasteurella enters a wound (from an injury or insect bite), then abscesses result. These are most common on the cheek or inside the mouth. Abscesses most often occur in the mouth if the rabbit has malocclusion (crooked teeth), and its teeth have grown long enough to injure the mouth, providing an area for infection to take hold. Loppy developed a pasteurella abscess that was surgically removed. In his case, it is believed he received an insect or spider bite on the cheek that became infected.

5. Mastitis, Metritus, and Orchitis:
If a doe with pasteurella gives birth, she may develop mastitis (abscesses on the breasts) or metritus (uterine infection) (intact does not breeding may develop it as well). Intact bucks may get orchitis (testicle infection).

I hope this helps a little

We have only had Minty 3 days. He is housed separately to our five lady guinea pigs.

I have been told on another forum that rabbits can harbour diseases which are fatal to guinea pigs, the bordatella bug and pasturella (sp?) I am now really worried about Minty accidentally passing anything on.

Is there any way a vet can check whether Minty is carrying anything? He has been in the run (but not with them), I will be getting him another run of his own really soon, and his hutch is next to theirs, so although they don't have direct contact obviously they live within close proximity to each other.

I'm so worried. I wasn't aware of this problem at all. I also know a lot of people that keep rabbits and guinea pigs (some together, I know this is not generally advised) and some are separate, but as far as I know they are ok healthwise.

How common are these diseases? Any help please . ..

Bordatella can be passed form buns to pigs, but I don't know how common a occurance this is. Have you tried asking on a guinea pig forum, they might know.

Nicola

I think there is only a real risk, if the rabbit and the guinea pig are living together. I have bunnies and pigs in close proximity... but i seriously doubt they would be able to pass anything to one another.

Thanks so much, that has made me feel a bit better :)

I have posted a question on a gp forum too, awaiting replies tho

Any more info still very very welcome

Back