• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shocked!

Wilbur

Mama Doe
I have just taken my two rabbits to the vets for their Myxi jabs. When I said to the vet I'd read that you should put some in the base of the ear just under the skin she said something like there are all sorts of ideas! She then said a bit should go under the skin but when she did them it didn't look like she did, although I suppose as she's pierceing the skin some should get in. I felt a bit p****d off as I felt like she'd dismissed what I'd said. I am now anxious that they are not as protected as they could be, although I think I am quite low risk here. I will do a search and I'll send her the info on how to inject.

THEN when I paid it was £69.18. That's £34.59 each!!!:shock: :shock: I couldn't beleive it, I am sure I only paid £25 in April for Harry. I've just shredded all my receipts so I can't tell.

Sorry just needed a rant, I was going to take them to the rabbit savvy vet that's about 40 minutes away but decided that our local vet should be ok and they hate the car. Mistake, won't go there again.

omg thats an extorniate amount of money - I would complain - and defo look at getting another vet if you can.
My vets a bit dizzy to and they often ask my advice! :lol: - but at least they listen to the owners.

:shock: Definitely find a new vet - that is daylight robbery by a cowboy if you ask me :evil:

I'd ring em and query why its sooooo expensive!!!!! Thats a ridiculous amount of money to pay for something thats not even 100% effective!!!!:evil:

Last edited:
I have just taken my two rabbits to the vets for their Myxi jabs. When I said to the vet I'd read that you should put some in the base of the ear just under the skin she said something like there are all sorts of ideas! She then said a bit should go under the skin but when she did them it didn't look like she did, although I suppose as she's pierceing the skin some should get in. I felt a bit p****d off as I felt like she'd dismissed what I'd said. I am now anxious that they are not as protected as they could be, although I think I am quite low risk here. I will do a search and I'll send her the info on how to inject.

THEN when I paid it was £69.18. That's £34.59 each!!!:shock: :shock: I couldn't beleive it, I am sure I only paid £25 in April for Harry. I've just shredded all my receipts so I can't tell.
Sorry just needed a rant, I was going to take them to the rabbit savvy vet that's about 40 minutes away but decided that our local vet should be ok and they hate the car. Mistake, won't go there again.

Can't you check your bank statements? It will be listed as your vet, amount and date, which should help?

OMG!! Thats alot of money, we pay between £13 - £17 for vaccines at our two vets... my bunnies don't really like the travel, but I would rather go to a vet who knows what he/she is doing with the buns!! Better luck next time!!

i was shocked when i saw the price, i mean its 16.50 in my local vets and there private and i often think they're too expensive but that is terrible, definately give them a ring about the price!

sophie x x

Sounds very expensive to me.
Not all vets put some in the ear - 10% has to go just below the skin, so some vets just withdraw the needle slightly, which would be quite hard to notice, so she may well have done that.

Can't you check your bank statements? It will be listed as your vet, amount and date, which should help?

Unfortunately Harry was having various treatments and so the amount isn't seperate.

I have contacted the vet re the amount and it seems that if I had booked the two together it would have been £48 for Myxi and VHD. They are due for the VHD so they had agreed to charge me that amount so not quite so bad now, only £96!!!!! Why they didn't tell me at the time I don't know, I did mention both! I shall not use this vet again after these injections. I did enquire about VHD at the other vets but it would be £30 each so it's cheaper to have them done this time at the original vet. Administering VHD isn't as difficult as Myxi.

I have printed off the Nobivac Myxi data sheet to take with me as it clearly states that some of the vaccine should be administered under the skin. I'll see what she says.

Don't think the buns are talking to me now!

No more ranting I promise! :oops:

My vet did the 10% in a seperate tiny needle so it didn't hurt too much and it was £10.50 each for each injection. I'd definately find a better vet.

that's too expensive, my vet, who isn't the cheapist for routine stuff, charges roughly £11 each. She also injects the intradermal bit in the scruff rather than the ear as she says she finds the rabbits struggle a lot when she tries to do the ear unless they are very laid back (like Teddy, he let her inject his ear) but she did the scruff with Pippa and MJ as they are stressed at the vets so much but she does pull back and inject 10% intradermally

I paid £21 last week for both the myxi and VHD.
The vet I saw knew to do part of it just under the skin, but what she did on the ear just leaked straight back out again, wheras when I've seen Lou do it , it looks like it stays in :?

Back