• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mxyi in Leicester

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
posting here so as many people see as possible and following on from several sad threads..
Leicester RSPCA have some rabbits in with Mxyi..I was told about an hour ago..they will not be rehoming or taking in rabbits for at least 7 days.......it seems to be appearing everywhere:cry:

Last edited:
Oh no! This is really worrying me. Mine were all vaccs in April, fly papers up, dyna-mite sprayed, but from others' experiences, this may not be enough:(

posting here so as many people see as possible and following on from several sad threads..
Leicester RSPCA have some rabbits in with Mxyi..I was told about an hour ago..they will not be rehoming or taking in rabbits for at least 7 days.......it seems to be appearing everywhere:cry:

Oh No Jill, not more bunnies affected by Myxo:( :( :(
Lets hope the vaccine manufacturers can look at what is happening quickly , and test some of the infected bunnies to see what strain is responsible.

Oh no!!!! It must be all this wet weather, I guess all we can do is our best.... as well as citronella drops on the outside of runs and hutches, I'll be giving all my fosters a quick spray of rabbit flea and mite repellant every 3-4 days as recommended on the can, its gotta be worth a try!:(

Thanks for that Jill. My two are up to date with their vacs. What else can I do to minimise the risk?
I will warn my neighbours who have buns too.

As well as vaccinations, nets, repellants and general hutch hygiene is about all we can do. If this is a new strain (as so many vaccinated buns have been affected) its gonna be a case of do what you can till the weather changes. We'll all be praying for the first frost at this rate!:(

Thank you x
I've sprayed the hutch with a repellant, just need to try and get hold of some net now! My main concern is that I know there are a few rabbits on this street that have not been vaccinated. I have warned my neighbour who didn't seem unduly bothered! :roll:

Oh No! I wonder if this new strain has anything to do with the number of mosquito's around this year?? I have some very very nasty bites from them :?

I bought some really cheap window fly nets from Lidl (tho I havent yet put them up :oops: ), but that was a couple of weeks ago now.... failing getting any of that, you could just staple up some plain cheap muslim or fine net curtain on the hutches or runs, or through a sheet of it over the whole thing... thats probably a better idea actually. Citronella oil from a chemist is really cheap too and a great repellant, the smell stays for ages as its oil based.

Its so annoying when 'people' dont bother getting their pet vaccinated then they dont seem a bit bothered when theres a chance it could affect them.... and its just our luck that theyre the ones who escape it!!!:evil: :censored:

Good luck, I hope all our bunnies stay safe and healthy. x

Thank you x
I've sprayed the hutch with a repellant, just need to try and get hold of some net now! My main concern is that I know there are a few rabbits on this street that have not been vaccinated. I have warned my neighbour who didn't seem unduly bothered! :roll:

See donnas advice re keeping flies away..

AND Hello! where have you been? I've missed you and news of your bunnies

Hi Jill :wave: I have been lurking in the background :lol: Both bunnies are well, grumpy as usual :lol: but still giving me endless joy :D

Done the repellant thing, the hutch is lovely and clean anyway as per usual, just gonna try and get hold of some net from somewhere. Am I still ok letting the out for their runs though? ( Or is that a really stoopid question :lol: )

I bought some really cheap window fly nets from Lidl (tho I havent yet put them up :oops: ), but that was a couple of weeks ago now.... failing getting any of that, you could just staple up some plain cheap muslim or fine net curtain on the hutches or runs, or through a sheet of it over the whole thing... thats probably a better idea actually. Citronella oil from a chemist is really cheap too and a great repellant, the smell stays for ages as its oil based.

Its so annoying when 'people' dont bother getting their pet vaccinated then they dont seem a bit bothered when theres a chance it could affect them.... and its just our luck that theyre the ones who escape it!!!:evil: :censored:

Good luck, I hope all our bunnies stay safe and healthy. x

Thank you, I will get some citronella oil when I go shopping.

Stoopid neighbour!!!! :(

Where's Donna's advice about keeping flies away please?

The citronella (or Tea Tree oil or Eucalyptus) is a fly repellant for the hutch but for the actual buns, flea and mite rabbit spray (pet shop stuff) repels all insects and has to be worth a go.:)

Lemon Balm plants work too, dotted around the garden.

The citronella (or Tea Tree oil or Eucalyptus) is a fly repellant for the hutch but for the actual buns, flea and mite rabbit spray (pet shop stuff) repels all insects and has to be worth a go.:)

Lemon Balm plants work too, dotted around the garden.

Right, I'll go and get some citronella and how do I use it please?

I wouldnt put it where the buns can doubt to it, but I doubt they'd even want to lick it its vile but not poisonous (In accidentally licked my finger after!!!). I've put drops of Citronella oil on the outside of the hutches and runs, just a drop every foot or so, its really pretty strong. Tea tree oil would maybe be safer inside the hutches but I doubt theres much difference safety wise, theyre both natural. Maybe a drop of citronella or tea tree, under newspaper or lino in the hutch would be ok, its not vaporous like the eucalptus oil and you can actually buy tea tree repellant spray for cats and dogs so its pretty safe.

In the past I've actually hung up lemon skins to protect a fly strike prone bun!!

Just gonna have a look for any natural sprays for bunnies too. I actually made some hair spray repellant from tea tree oil and lavendar oil for my childrens hair, touch wood we've avoided head lice too.

Last edited:
Oh this is probably totally irrelevant but its just to say how safe Tea Tree oil is. Since I've lived at my house (8 years) all my cats and dogs have suffered from Harvest Mites. It totally baffled 2 vets as it isnt something that should be present where I live, and it took them ages to identify them! Its rife in France and other places, but there wasnt many cases here, its mainly something that affects cattle. The mites gather in clusters mainly around the feet and toes and vet products dont do a thing, they actually swim around in Frontline!

Anyway, I sought much advice over the years and I probably know more about it than most vets now! I discovered that 'repelling' them and water!!! was the most effective method and at times when I was pulling my hair out with frustration (harvest mites bite people and I'm allergic!). I've actually put a drop of TT oil onto the top of all my dogs and cats feet, even my old rabbit had some on once, but funnily the mites have never affected any of the buns.... I wouldnt recommend putting on, or near where buns can lick but I believe it to be totally safe and never had a problem with licking.

I'm probably sounding like a 'repellant freak' but its something I've had to do! Wilkinson do an insect repellant which contains Citronella and Lemon oil, its very gentle comes in wipes, the wipes are even safe for babies to use (in a green box they were). All mys pets (dogs and cats) and children have these used on them and they appear to be completely safe and really good value. You could always wipe them round the hutch.

Back