• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bum checks/ protection

lisa82

Mama Doe
Due to the warm whether the buns are having extra regular bum checks. Being no expert on rabbit anatomy I am finding the least stressful way of checking is lifting their tails whist they're laying down so I can see their bum holes :oops:
Do you experts think this is ok?

Also, fortunately they do clean themselves well but I have read that flies can be attracted and lay eggs even on clean looking bums, is this true?? Is it recommended that all buns, clean or not, are protected by rearguard or something?

Hiya!

That is how I check Sophie as there is no way she would let me pick her up, she really hates it but will lie on the floor next to me for hours, so I check when she is lying down and she doesnt mind that at all. Just make sure you can check all the area that could be mucky/affected.

Rear guard is generally for buns at risk as you have to get it from your vets. If your buns clean themselves well and have clean bums, they should be fine, just keep an eye open and check daily :D

The joys eh!!! :lol:

If your rabbit is quite slim (like my Inky) you can check by lifting tales but if they're a bit fatter (like my Smokey), you have to resort to lifting the bunny I think! Otherwise you can't see properly.

I don't use rearguard because I think it's a bit strong if your buns don't really need it. IMHO, nothing beats cleaning out litter trays twice daily and keeping their living areas clean. I also dab citronella on bits of fabric and tie it (out of reach) in their runs, to deter flies.

Well Jess is a bit of a chubs but when I lift their tails I can see the holes:oops: , (looks like 2 little holes) is this enough or should I look further underneath? They do let me have a good feel underneath.

Where can you get citronella from? :D

If you can see everything under there, then that's fine especially if they're quite clean anyway.

I get citronella from Boots, it's in their aromatherapy section and it's about £5 a bottle but it does last ages.

I get my Citronella oil from a local small chemist, it was cheaper than Boots, a bargain at around £2!:D

Back