• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just Spoken With Vet Advisor at Intervet-Re Myxo Vaccine

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
After hearing of so many VACCINATED Bunnies getting Myxo this year I rang the manufacturer this morning and spoke with their Vet advisor. Apparently this year is being considered a 'high challenge' for a vaccine that is 'not ideal' in the first place (The vaccine contains inactivated Shorpe Fibroma Virus which is meant to give cross immunity to SOME strains of Myxomatosis) The advisor said this years Myxo Virus may have mutated, hence cross immunity from SFV is not so effective.
She advised to treat Rabbits for fleas, to use fly screens/netting and to look at investing in a SCALIBOR DOG COLLAR

http://www.intervet.co.uk/Products_Public/Scalibor_Collar/090_Product_Datasheet.asp

NOT to put on the Bun but to hang near the hutch/cage/run (well out of reach of Bun)

Scalibor Collars can only be obtained from a Vet

Janex

I've always used the 'jungle formula' mozzie spray (from Boots) on my nets in the shed, and the door, and it's the only thing I can think would have killed the wasps I kept finding dying in the shed last couple of weeks, even though I hadn't used any this summer. I also cover my hutches with rugs still at night, and spray the rugs with this - it's 50% deet. I know sprays aren't good for bunnies, but neither are mozzies and flies :(

Thanks for finding this out and posting it, Jane. I am very worried about myxi because for the first time ever, I have seen wild myxi rabbits on the street where I live (normally they keep to the fields at the edge of town). I understand that it is transmitted by blood sucking insects, such as fleas and ticks, which that collar is designed to keep at bay, but I am more worried about mosquitoes (we have plenty where I live). It seems that the collar is not designed to work with mozzies?

I would be very unlikely to get a collar for my buns anyway (too worried about them strangling themselves with it, and they would really hate it). How about cat flea treatment and similar things?

Does anybody know how far mosquitoes range? What are people doing (other than the obvious vaccination) to give their bunnies extra protection?

(good info Elve - saw it after I had posted mine)

Thanks for finding this out and posting it, Jane. I am very worried about myxi because for the first time ever, I have seen wild myxi rabbits on the street where I live (normally they keep to the fields at the edge of town). I understand that it is transmitted by blood sucking insects, such as fleas and ticks, which that collar is designed to keep at bay, but I am more worried about mosquitoes (we have plenty where I live). It seems that the collar is not designed to work with mozzies?

I would be very unlikely to get a collar for my buns anyway (too worried about them strangling themselves with it, and they would really hate it). How about cat flea treatment and similar things?

Does anybody know how far mosquitoes range? What are people doing (other than the obvious vaccination) to give their bunnies extra protection?

(good info Elve - saw it after I had posted mine)

The Collar is NOT meant to be put on the Bunny!! The advisor said it could be hung near the cage/hutch/run. She said it is not licensed to deter/kill mozzis but it will.

*PLEASE NO ONE PUT A SCALIBOR COLLAR ON YOUR BUNNY* !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Janex

I'll look at getting some this weekend. Have been looking at all the posts re people with a lot of buns having illness sweep through them & it is really worrying:cry:

I can net the bun room windows, & hang the collars up - I'll have a think about what I can do when we are playing in the garden:? .

Where can I get some of the collars from please ? Its very distressing hearing about lots of vaccinated buns still catching the :censored: myxo.

Thanks Jane :wave: Ill ask my vet if they sell them :D xx All my dogs and cats are frontlined.

We are doing all we can here as well with the Hairy Mob - I have brought their vaccinations forward by a month and they are all being done on Friday - Sally the vet is coming about 3pm.
We are disenfecting everywhere and spaying the buns with Assisi lotion - which I have to say is absolutely brilliant :D If you can get hold of that I can assure you it's wonderful stuff.
We are spraying all litter trays with the Assisi lotion as well as putting it in their rooms.
I truly don't know what more any of us can do - by vaccinating our buns we are giving them a fighting chance.
I truly feel for all those going through this horrible disease with their buns :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I am completely paranoid about myxi as we lost our very first bun (Ebony) to it:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: We will NEVER forgive ourselves :cry: :cry: :cry:
I know of a few buns that have caught myxi even though they have been vaccinated - I hate myxi :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Back