• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Darcy may have abcesses...UPDATE 7pm

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
I'm really scared that Darcy may have abcesses on his ears. After a chat with another member, I'm worried that the small bumps on his ears that I thought were just hard skin from wound healing are actually abcesses. First thing in the morning I'm taking him to the vet to get it checked out. I pray he hasn't been in pain - he never looks like it!! My other buns don't have any bumps like this - their scabs really are def scabs as its easier to tell as their fur is much finer (Darcy is a fluffy beast) :cry:

Last edited:
Thanks Maria. I'll let you know as soon as I get back from vets in morning. Hopefully its just me over-reacting xx

Okay after searching for photos on the internet - all the abcesses shown are huge and don't look like what I've found on Darcy's ears. I'm still taking him to the vet in the morning to double check just in case but am much calmer now! Thanks Maria xx

Best of luck at the vet! I am abcess-phobic .....they scare the daylights out of me!:cry: Keeping fingers crossed and sending loads of vibes. XXX

Is this on the ear flap? You'd probably be able to see fairly obviously if there was a problem. If a wound turns into an abccess it tends to be crusty and quite a swollen lump. A little bit of swelling is normal and ears can feel weird cos of the cartilage. If the lump is quite flat just like a raised scar that's usually nothing to worry about.

Tam

Thanks everyone for your kind replies. The earliest appt I could get at my vet today was a at 5.50pm - even tho I phoned at 8.35am!:roll: But I'm taking it as a good sign that its not urgent. I've been busying myself cleaning and tidying the flat to stop from worrying - at least I've been good for something today!!:oops: I'll let you know what the vet says tonight.

Is this on the ear flap? You'd probably be able to see fairly obviously if there was a problem. If a wound turns into an abccess it tends to be crusty and quite a swollen lump. A little bit of swelling is normal and ears can feel weird cos of the cartilage. If the lump is quite flat just like a raised scar that's usually nothing to worry about.

Tam

The bumps I'm worried about on his ears are tiny but they look swollen and white when I push the fur back. There is no crust anymore. One bump (near the tip of his ear flap) is next to a small hole in his ear from a fight with the girls during their bonding that never closed back up during healing. There are two other tiny hard lumps with no crust or scar which are in the middle of the ear flap area and one is tiny the other slightly bigger. I don't think they hurt him as he doesn't flinch when I touch them and Beatrix is forever grooming his ears.

Barley had a couple of small abscesses on her ears. They have been gone some time now, but she still has like lumps - apparently it's just cartlidge.

Hope Darcy is ok:D

Thanks Steph and Angie.

Barley had a couple of small abscesses on her ears. They have been gone some time now, but she still has like lumps - apparently it's just cartlidge.

Hope Darcy is ok:D

I am feeling a lot calmer now but am still taking him to get it double checked. If it was on my body I prob wouldn't bother but because is its one of my bunnies (my babies) I can't rest till I've got confirmation. From what you have all told me and the photos I found on the internet (where the abscess was massive!:shock: ) I really feel that his lumps hopefully are just cartelidge or something and not abcesses. Fingers and paws crossed xx

HURRAY!!! DARCY IS FINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Took Darcy and Beatrix to the vet and she checked his ears and said they were fine just healing up bumps and one cartlidge that were all healing very nicely she said. NO ABCESSES!!!!!!!!! I am so glad I can stop pannicking now. Got Darcy and Bea a manicure and pedicure while i was there...:D :lol:

Back