• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with My new hutch plz

toadflaxbex

Warren Scout
Myself and hubby have decided to build our own hutch. We bought a bike shed that is 6ft high by 6ft long and 3 foot deep and have decided to make it three tier. Hopefully it is going to be a nice monster of a hutch ready to house my bun and his mrs when we get her. We went out today and spent around £100 on wood to make the shelves, ramps doors etc. The only thing I didn't get was some covering for the shelves. Obviously we cant just leave it as wood because the wee will soak in. We do not know what to cover it in that won't be too slippy or chewable that is water proof.
Any ideas?
I am looking forward to making it. Have contacted the maker of the shed to make sure it was animal friendly stain/weather proof they used, so all will be well. The shed we are using is this one -

shed.jpg

Obviously the bikes etc won't be in it! As have just ordered a new one for the bunnies
I will post more pics as it progresses. I am really excited as they are going to have so much more room.

Last edited:
You can stain it with pet safe fence/out door stain (check the back or the tin or call the manufacturers to find pet safe ones). You can also cover them in lino/vinyl, just stick it down firmly.

It looks like you could end up with a pretty impressive hutch :shock:

You can stain it with pet safe fence/out door stain (check the back or the tin or call the manufacturers to find pet safe ones). You can also cover them in lino/vinyl, just stick it down firmly.

It looks like you could end up with a pretty impressive hutch :shock:

Yep we mailed the manufacturer of the shed to check what stain they used, if it isn't animal friendly will just do it again with some that is. We looked at vinyl today but it is quite expensive so wondered if anyone else had any other ideas. Otherwise will go vinyl.

All in all we think it would have cost us about £260 which is pretty good I think for that size and we would have achieved it ourselves. Gives us something to do anyways. BTW they will have a separate run for the grass, just in case anyone was wondering why there will be no run attached.

Have you looked at lino floor tiles? We picked up boxes for about £6 a piece I think they did about 1m each. You could also look on free cycle/freeads for people with spares.

Also worth asking in shops as sometimes they have off cuts they'll sell cheap - particularly if you're not fussy about designs :D

I got an offcut of lino for £20, as long as you aren't fussy about the pattern, they also do cheap lino tiles in B&Q for around £2.50 for 6, have also seen some in the 99p store too.

Evo's indoor cage have lino on the floor. You can get very cheap stuff - this one was around £5 a square metre.

poundland do them! you can try wilkinsons as well.... but make sure you kind of measure and fit I just fitted and then ripped it all up as it was a right pain! :lol:
Have fun doing the hutch, I am sure they will love it

Back