• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Should males be neutered?

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
Do you think its better if the bunnies are neutered?

I have two males at 4 months. Due to fighting they now live separate, they dont like being cuddled but they dont bite and seem quite happy.
They dont spray but they are not perfectly litter trained. I just wondered as they get older will they get more aggressive towards us?

I think they should be neutered as it will calm them down :D They may even rebond once they are neutered ;) Trip never sprayed or anything but was so much laid back after his neuter

All my boys are neutered, and are perfectly litter trained, and not aggressive.
Salt and Pepper are both boys and a bonded pair, Squidgy lives on his own with us, but has been much better in his litter training since his neuter. Bobby is as soft as grease! He lives with Ruby and is an excellent husbun!
So I would say, yes!

I don't think they'll get aggresive if not neutered.
Never met an aggresive male bunny but I've heard of a couple (coincidentallythe brothers of my rabbit, Zakura the Killer Rabbit, so I'm pretty sure its genetic)
But they can get calmer and easier to litter train:D

My housebunny is single and unless i bond him (which im not planning on doing) then i will not get him neutered, at the end of the day if its not broke dont fix it ;) just my opinion of course.

I've had single unneutered males before.:D
The main "problems" were spraying (at great speed as they'd bomb past me!), running around my feet in circles grunting, and the odd occasion when they'd try to hump the life out of socks!!
Neutering does stop most of this as they don't have lots of testosterone surging around their brains making them think "sex, sex, sex".:shock:
I think if I had a single male now I would have him neutered, just because my neutered bonded boys are much more chilled out!:)

I think it's ia good dea too, for the reasons already given, but also I think it is kinder to remove their urges- how frustrating it must be to have all those hormones buzzing around!

My personal opinion that unless you intend to breed (responsibly of course...!) then pets should be neutered.

But I can also see the "if it aint broke, dont fix it" argument too :D

In your case, I would be tempted to have them neutered to see if they can be rebonded. And also, at four months, maybe they havent got to the fully-hormonal stage yet and that could be yet to come?

My housebunny is single and unless i bond him (which im not planning on doing) then i will not get him neutered, at the end of the day if its not broke dont fix it ;) just my opinion of course.

I completely see where you're coming from. Minty is 14 weeks so its too early to say yet, but unless he is really problematic in one way or another I'm planning on leaving him be, can't bear the thought that he might not make it. We lost our Mitzi (mini lop) just before Christmas, she had a tumour, and we were totally beside ourselves with grief, can't bear to think we could lose Minty like that.

(I understand a blood test before the op can tell you about certain things that might cause problems under anaesthetic but it's not 100%)

Trouble was, when we fell in love with Minty, the lady told us it was a girl, which I would have preferred really (sorry Minty). When we went to collect, turns out he was a boy. We were already besotted and so he came home anyway, and we love him so much we wouldn't have him any other way now. But there is still this spraying/possible aggression thing that people say about that we have to get round somehow. Wait and see time I guess . . .

I think it's kinder, I'm currently looking after an un-neutered male who is bonded with a spayed female. He humps her a lot and she has urine stains where he has sprayed her. I'm going to have a little chat with their owner when she picks them up.

I have a single house rabbit he is 5 and a half months litter trainned and does not spray. He is such a happy bunny loves people and has never ever bitten or scratched me. He also loves to be carried. The vet said she would rather not castrate him because she doesn't see the point of risking surgery he does not need. He will remain an unbonded house bunny for ever and ever amen.:D

I think it's ia good dea too, for the reasons already given, but also I think it is kinder to remove their urges- how frustrating it must be to have all those hormones buzzing around!

Thats what I wanted to say but it sounded wrong when I wrote it :oops: :lol: :roll:

I can see the argument for a single male not to be neutered but as you have 2 (even though they arent together) I think its kinder to neuter both. It must be extremely frustating being filled with raging hormones and sexual urges, and having a neighbour who feels the same way, maybe they could be rebonded eventually.

I looked after my brothers rabbit while he was on holiday (I also have fosters here), a single un-neutered male, I felt so sorry for the poor thing I nearly took him and had him done myself. He's very friendly and not aggressive with humans at all, but the only thing on his mind is getting at other bunnies .... for sex and fights!

Last edited:
Back