• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

feeding advice, what and how much do you feed?

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
my little wild bun Spudsey is now 4 months old. (hand reared from 4 days)Been giving her other foods now (was just on hay and pellets) lots of grass, couple of dandelion leaves each day (tiny ickle ones), carrot (tiny amount again) cabbage (still tiny!), radish leaves (one every now and again), apple (only had a couple of times), and yesterday tried her with green pepper. not too keen!

just wondered what veg you recommend feeding as have read that too much cabbage and carrots isn't very good for bunnies, though my friends bunnies have lots of this each day (currently bunny sitting them for acouple of weeks).

she seems to have completely gone off her supa rabbit excel forage, and the only hay she seems to like is oat hay. though sometimes won't eat alot of it. Se has the junior excel pellets which i would like to reduce but when I see shes not eating much hay I think she must be hungry so give her more. then obviously shes full up on pellets so won't eat anything else!

aaahhhh back in the 'old days' when Ihad rabbits they had the :censored: rabbit mix, carrots, lettuce (!), cabbage, apples galore!!!! how things have changed!

Mine get - handful of Allen and Page pellets (about 10 -20 each depending on size of bun!) and a leaf of spring greens in the morning.
Readigrass as a treat in the afternoon, sometimes with celery/ sprout.
A&P pellets and carrot and carrot tops in the evening.
They have the dustfree hay the rest of the time, with a run out onto the grass every day.
It may seem a very unimaginative diet, but I've found that any deviation in their routine upsets one or the other of them (except Ruby who seems to have an iron gut :shock: ), so I keep it simple and the same.

Bobby and Ruby (medium sized buns) have a carrot each, Salt and Pepper (nethies) share a carrot.

hi!

My two get a small handful of Oxbow Bunny Basics in the morning. Meadow hay in their litter trays - topped up twice a day. Redigrass or timothy in their bowl before bed. A handful of veg in the evening such as spring greens, parsnip, parsley, radish, celery etc. and a handful of green oat hay a day - they love this.
Occasionally as a treat they'll get a small dried cube of papaya or pinapple (no sugar, just dried). or some dried cranberries or a cube of fresh fruit.

One handful per bunny of SS....or half a handful for a nethie.....and fresh hay in the morning.

3 types of vegetable (for example half a stick of celery, a cabbage leaf and two slices of cucumber per rabbit) plus dried grass in the evening and a hay refill when they go to bed.

Mopsy has two handfuls of hay in the morning along with a veg or fruit then in the evening she has he half bowl of pellets and more hay =] she has more pellets in the winter =] and more hay =]

Audrey has hay and excel forage about 7.30am, then a small handful of pellets about 8.30am when I leave for work.

Then she has hay and something like a spring green leaf when I get in from work. Before bed she has more hay and other veges - typical ones are celery, carrot, kale, pepper, herbs etc...

Each day my two get:

-A small handful of Wagg Bunnytime Complete between them morning and afternoon.

-1 carrot (although if we've got some home grown 2 because they're really little!), 2 handfuls of chopped up greens, a small bit of broccoli and maybe some carrot tops. I split this into 4 small meals a day so I can check they're still eating!

-1/4 dried organic apricot each, with a papaya tablet hidden inside (to stop furballs, Smokey won't take it any other way).

-4 massive handfuls of 'dust-free' hay with some Oat hay mixed in (they sleep on hay but it's cheaper stuff, they like to eat posh). I also sprinkle this with dried blackberry and strawberry leaves.

A really good book on rabbit nutrition is 'Rabbit Nutrition' by Virginia Richardson, you can get it from the RWA website.

Back