• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

messy bum

**Bonnie**

Mama Doe
Wonder if someone could help..

My little Holly gets a messy bum and doesn't eat all the poos she is supposed too (cant spell it!!) - it absolutely stinks and makes her bum so messy I have to clean it for her which reallyu distresses the poor thing. Her diet is as follows, is there anything I could change??

Morning:
Handful of Science Selective between her and Alfie
Half a carrot

Evening:
Handful of Science Selective between her and Alfie
Greens

Obviously all day they have unlimited supply of hay and water,

Any advice would be great as I notice some flies hanging around their shed and inside which is worrying!

Thanks alot

I would cut out the second hanful of SS to encourage them to eat hay, remove the veggies until her bum has cleaned up and then reintroduce them slowly....one type at a time.... to identify which veg is causing the problem.

Thanks Sooz, i'll try that

Hi Angie - she isn't overweight at all and eats lots of hay as i see her and grass when she is out...

Thing is, taking out the veg means that Alfie cant have any - maybe I'll feed him seperately or something?!?!

If he is not having any problems then by all means let him keep eating it.

Have you purchased soem rear guard to keep the flies away and prevent her getting flystrike?

We had similar probs with our lop Molly when she was alive, particularly when she first came to us from the rescue centre. Reducing the pellets helped to encourage her to eat hay. Molly also liked to nibble straw and this seemed to help - so that may be worth a try.
Definitely get some rearguard and consider having her shaved during the summer months - that stops the poo from sticking to her so much. HTH x

Hi Bonnie :wave:

Hope you are OK. I'd just cut down on the SS a bit more and cut out the Carrot. Dark leafy greens a very unlikely to cause a mucky bum so I would not cut them out. I'd ask Christobel to check Holly's teeth as Buns with a few molar spurs often dont eat all their caecotrophs.

Janex :wave:

One thing - not sure if she has been spayed or not.

Yalta used to get very matted at the back, and we had to frequently clean her up and cut away the matted bits of fur.

Once she was spayed - it pretty well cleared up.

Martin

Hi Jane :wave: All is good with me... never get time to come on to hear tho but pop back every now and then - hope you and your buns are well!

Thanks to every one for your replies... i think i will cut down on SS and cut out the carrot and see how i get on and get Christobel to check her over - thanks all...

Back