• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

News at GA Sanctuary- FRIDAY 17 Update

Adele

Warren Veteran
Dear All,
so sorry I have not been around, but we have had a major crisis here at the Sanctuary:? :? :?
All the rabbits are religiously vaccinated against Myxomatosis every six months, and my vet does the vaccines properly.
Unfortunately, despite this, and my taking precautions such as having a regular de bugging regime (fleas etc), hanging net curtains up to stop some mossies flying around near the bunnies, we have had SIX cases of Myxomatosis in a week.
We have lived here for 10 years, and only ever had four cases of nodular Myxomatosis (the form vaccinated rabbits get that most survive from, but can have long lasting problems such as blindness), with 100s of rabbits coming and going from the site.
To have six cases in a week is unheard of, and I have imposed a quaranteen on all the Sanctuary, with all infected bunnies being removed from their groups:)( ).
None of the house rabbits have been affected, it is purely the bunnies who have outdoor avairies.
Myxomatosis is not as easy to transmit from one rabbit to another, such as a Virus, but by removing bunnies with Myxo nodules (sores) to isolation, at least it is the best we can do .
I am working with my vet who is closely monitoring the situation, and has been in touch with the vaccine manufacturers for advice. Some of the infected rabbits will be tested to see whether it is a new strain, and we will take it from there.
It is so hard seeing the bunnies suffer with swollen lips, sores on head and around eyes, and it is adding 4 hours to my already hectic day to do all the meds and give fluids(Bunnies dont drink enough when they have Myxo as they have sore lips). The vet thinks I will pull the rabbits through this with intensive husbandry, and has commended me upon my care to date.
It is not correct to say the vaccinations are not working, as none of the bunies have chest problems, just off colour and with nasty sores.
Arthurs nodules are already drying up and should fall off within a week, then he is clear .
Sadly the first bunny Snuggles who showed symptoms came out with full blown Myxo (vet thinks her immune system did not take up vaccine in the past), so we made heartbreaking decision to have her put to sleep.
The other rabbits seem to be doing well , but Poor Boadicea our Giant bunny has a nasty nodule in her eye, so that may need surgery when the Myxo is less active.
Please pray for all the bunnies, they need as much love and support as you can muster now.
I will keep you posted as what happens, but it is a very worrying and upsetting time. Especially as we have taken every available precaution in the first place to stop any diseases breaking out.
The vet says it is an exceptionally bad year for Myxo with the wet weather helping the mosquito and flea population explode. She does not consider we are at any more risk particularly here than anywhere else, it is just either rotten luck, or a new strain.
More house rabbits are getting Myxo too, so please VACCINE your rabbits twice a year for best protection.
The only plus side of this is, we did vaccinate and most of the bunnies should recover.

Love from us all at the Sanctuary.

Last edited:
Oh no Adele sorry to hear there are 6 affected now sending vibes to all at GA :cry:

Hiya Carys:wave:
Thak you for your good wishes.
Yes Bobby has started with swollen eyes this morning, he is my main concern at this stage as he is 10:( :( :(
Bobby has old lungs and heart, so he is more at risk than most.
I have had to take him out of his group, which has broken my heart:( :( :(

Oh no that's awful:cry:

There's so many sick buns about at the minute - I read that mossy count was high in this country, thanks to the weather.

Hugs to you, & I hope the are ok.

Adele I am so, so sorry :cry: :cry:
I know that you and your Vet will do everything possible to save the affected Bunnies. This must be utterly heartbreaking for you :cry: :cry:
I guess the recent very wet yet warm weather has led to a Mozzi population explosion and it must be near on impossible to keep them all out of a Bun's environment

Even when we take every possible precaution against disease it can still get through. I am thinking of you and all The Sanctuary Bunnies

Janex

Oh no - this is awful news. I'm so sorry to hear this. You have done all you can to prevent this awful disease and I'm certain you will do all you can for the poor bunnies now affected by it.

Take care of yourself and the buns - thinking of you all.

Awww how awful :( They should pull through with nursing, albeit with battle scars - hope nobun else gets it.....In your first post do you mean you've lived there 10 years? It says 10 days :shock:

Oh gosh, everyone is having such a rotten time at the moment.

I hope the bunnies pull through for you and please try and find time for yourself too....I know how hard it can be after this week.

Lots of vibes to you and the bunnies.

X

praying for the santuary bunny's:cry: now wondering whether to go twice a year with the myxi although my vet doesn't seem to think it is necessary where I am:? you are in the countryside though Adele, which might be why it is possibly higher your way:cry:

funnily enough, yesterday I have just gone halves with a mate to get one of those plug in mozzy lamps that kill the pesky critters, might be worth a try to protect your other outdoor buns. Sadly, all we can do is keep taking precautions, dont know what the answer is really until some-one comes up with a cure for the myxi and VHD:cry: :cry:

fingers, toes and paws crossed for you

So sorry to hear about the rabbits, you must be exhausted :( good luck with them all, I am sure they will all benefit from you intensive care.

Love Kareen xx

Oh thats is really awful!! Sending healing vibes to the buns!! I really hope they all pull through it!! Best wishes to you too!

I`m so sorry Adele:cry: :cry:

We`re both sending buckets loads of vibes for all the bunnies at GA..................

Thinking of you & David,

Su & Mark.xx

Back